Hair Dyamics Going thru Mesh

Yeah, here’s an image of my problem. As you can see the hair is going through the mesh. I’ve tried doing lots of things to fix this, increasing quality steps, increasing hair segments, adding a collision option to the emitting mesh, but nothing seems to stop this from happening.

I just can’t seem to find any good tutorials on dynamic hair that encompasses my collision problem.

Here’s a blend file if that helps.
https://cloud.blender.org/p/p-578ae3ecc379cf32a3ce13b3/

Thanks for the help guys, I’m helping my 9 year old sister make a movie based off some stories she wrote about some “animal friends” or something and I’m not going for amazing quality here, just something cheesy and easy.

Eh, I guess hair collisions in blender are fairly new and not quite there yet. Might mess around with force fields to see what I can do. Maybe change the skin color to the hair color and hope nobody notices.

Link to blend not working

Sorry, here’s a better link https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt3odifzc8eusxa/bearwork.blend?dl=0

same probleme here, I’ve tried to duplicate the mesh, remove hair from dupli, remove render visibility, and assigning collide to the dupli.
But still does not work.

or you may try with “force field” as described here:

I did try but still i get some problems.

Found this quote online… not tested the method stated myself, but it may work for you… worth a try at least

Here -

"finally found the root cause of all the collision issues in 2.78. To make collision work at all you have to dump real-life scale and upscale the whole scene by 10-20 times. 1meter is 20 meters then.
I managed to make an animated character with almost no clipping.
No forcefields needed…just softbody collision.

• Duplicate the rigged char-mesh
  • Decimate it by 10
  • Smooth Vertices to have no sharp edges
  • Scale it up by 1.1
  • Duplicate the Scalp of the Character
  • Separate it into a an own Mesh
  • Add hair to Scalp with Dynamics
  • Set Mass to 0.2
  • Set Stiffness to 0.1
  • Set Damping to 0.5
  • Add Collision to the lowpoly mesh
  • Set Collision Particle Damping to e.g. 0.7
  • Roughly Comb the Hair in a direction
  • Scale up everything by 20
  • Run the simulation for e.g 200 frames (long hair falls a long time) to let the hair settle into the correct position
  • Run it again (I had weird “hair explosions” after it settled on the first run)

Done…will animate with you character"

Source - https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/53u1ee/blender_and_hair_collision/

hi jamie B and thank you,
much better even not yet the solution!
it works in certain way but maybe too much, as it project hairs very far from the mesh,
resulting in a “not natural realisting looking” result.
file enclosed for testing.

sinforosa.blend (2.82 MB)

Maybe try playing with the scale of the mesh?

Or the hair density, it may need to be cranked up due to the larger scale of the mesh… Also try messing with other settings like stiffness and field weights like gravity, turning gravity influence up a bit may pull the hair down in a more pleasing way.

Also make sure to have a lot of segments enabled for the strands, between 30 and 50 to allow for good collisions…

Hair collision has always been a problem for me, I’m just hoping the hair system is in a better state for v2.8 when it finally lands :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell hair dynamics has been very unstable and unpredictable for several releases now. The last release where I can run and then reliably cache a hair dynamics sim smoothly and predictably is version … 2.73 a.

I submitted this as a question to the Blender podcast 2nd episode and also a bug report a couple of releases back. There were two replies for my bug report.

Firstly… that my failed sims with previously stable files were due to the simulation method being rewritten after Gooseberry and that it needed different numerical inputs compared to the ones I had used before. The problem is that I can’t find any clear documentation on the new system and how to judge or figure out the right settings to use.

The next reply is that the hair dynamics system has been unstable and patched together for a while now and is due for a big re-write. I think in the 2.8 phase.

If anyone has any clearer idea or knows anything about the new system and it’s settings then please feel free to pitch in here.

If it helps here is my write up on using hair dynamics for characters in an animation pipeline with most of the running of a sim and caching process explained too. This was also in response to a lack of info out there. I think next time I will avoid using hair sims until a re-write is on the cards. Or if it’s really needed just revert back to 2. 73a. At least hair and fur is pretty stable in all other areas right now in the latest releases and very usable.

For people who can’t seem to can’t hair collision working, even with the surface force field, I would try making a duplicate of the vertices you’re emitting the hair system from, so that the emitter and the collision mesh’s are separate objects. That seems to be the only thing that worked for me.