Hide light's geometry in reflection, keeping glossiness

Hello,
the classic way to hide a light is switching off its ‘Camera’ and ‘Glossy’ parameter.
The problem is that switching off glossy also affects the quality of reflections; is there a way to hide the ‘geometry’ of a light from rendered image (and from rendered reflective surfaces like glasses), but keeping its effects completely?

Thanks.

What effects do you want to keep? You want the lamp to be reflected, but not reflected? Glossy reflection is reflection, I have a hard time imagining it gone but still there.

1 Like

I wanna see the reflection of the emitted light, not the emitter. Is it more clear?
If not, make a point light, make a reflective surface and less reflective one like a wooden plank. Turn Camera off on light visibility. Render with ‘glossy’ and without ‘glossy’
rays. Also render with zero size. Different results you get; wood looks more realistic with glossy on, but on the reflective surface light emitter appears.

you could use Blender Render or another technique (composite in post)

Light emitter appears on both both surfaces, on wood it is just more blurred. What should the reflected light, not lamp, look like on your reflective surface? You want some kind of art directable reflection? Then use a different shaped lamp/object that is visible in reflections, but does not cast light in addition to real light.

Thanks, it seems that I have to check for some methods to solve it.
One could be rendering of passes, but I will take a look if it is possible handling reflections on per material or per object basis.
What I would like to achieve is to use the additional (artistic) realism by adding ‘fake’ lights for the scene (also adding more illumination +sharper shadows overall), but eliminating ‘sharp’ light reflections in materials like glass or mirror.

Thanks anyway.

With these settings, the light source is not visible on surfaces with zero roughness:

1 Like

Thanks! I will give a try.

You can make lights visible only to a specific material:
https://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20922