Weird stuttering issue involving the Chrome browser and Blender...

About a week ago I installed a new NVIDIA GTX 1070 in my PC. Drivers are completely up to date. Opened up Blender tonight (first time since I’ve got the card), and I was noticing an annoying stutter/slowdown when moving objects (especially high poly) or panning the camera. Like Blender is dropping frames. When I went to make a post about it, I was tabbing back and forth between the Chrome browser and Blender and noticed if Chrome is maximized in the background, Blender runs great, fast and smooth… but if Chrome is minimized OR TURNED OFF, Blender starts dropping frames again. I’m not kidding, this is insane, what is going on?

Has anyone heard of anything like this, could it be related to the new NVIDIA card? It wasn’t happening on my old GTX 670… but could be a coincidence since I haven’t used Blender for a week or two.

Try disabling “use hardware acceleration when available” in Chrome (Advanced Settings). Applications can certainly affect one another and the drivers for the new GPUs likely have exciting new bugs to suffer from.

I’ve updated to the latest drivers and blender version and still having this issue. Tried disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome but made no difference. Note that the stuttering happens if Chrome is not running. Also checked NVIDIA settings and Windows power management stuff… can’t really figure out what’s going on with this. Any other ideas?

Hi, there is a setting “Continue running background apps …”.
Check task manager if something still run.
Never heard about such an error.

Cheers, mib

Report for Linux Mint 17 Rosa:
I’ve got a new GTX 1080 too and installed needed drivers ( 367.48 ) and since i saw such stalling in cpu processes too.
Can’t say what triggers it, but if its occuring, i see cpu render stalling tiles from time to time and the mouse is laggy like hell.
Often a restart fixes this. Pure coincidence ? I don’t think so as the NVidia driver shows up also other oddities.
Also the GTX 1080 is clearly underperforming.

Before with 352 drivers for my other GTX 980 and 980ti i never saw such issue.

Jens