is rendering on the PS4 possible somehow?

hi
I was looking around for a new gfx card, just to speed up rendering. I found the current GeForce GTX 1080 costs like 800€. My PS4 did cost only half that price and has 8 (cell) cores and puts out nice 3d GFX pretty fast (so fast, you can play games like in realtime ;)), so I wondered if it is somehow possible to use the PS4 to render blender images.
Or would you have to have a PS4 devkit or some kind of jailbroken PS4 to do this?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-283604.html
Put Linux on a PS4 ? http://wololo.net/ps4-jailbreak-ps4-cfw4dummies/

Why are you comparing the PS4 with the GTX 1080 ? The PS4 is equivalent to a mediocre PC

I’ll give you a bit of an expansion on the PS4’s specs… your PS4 has 8 AMD CPU cores at approx 1.6GHz… roughly equivalent to a new Intel Core i3 I would hazard a guess (3.5 GHz, Hyper Threading and a far more efficient design)

The GPU is 1.8 TFlops, so roughly a R7 265 or GTX 660. Not much more than $150 these days (AUD)

You know what else can display games in real time? Approximately every semi-sophisticated digital device since the 1970s. But you wouldn’t use a PlayStation 1 - which could indeed display 3D graphics in real time - to render, would you? Consoles are purpose-built for one thing: Gaming. Now, with the latest generation the line is blurred somewhat, but it’s still the device’s primary purpose. The hardware and software are optimised for it. If you go ahead and put a normal operating system on it, you’ll find the hardware is actually quite disappointing.

So, while it may well be possible to use a PS4 for rendering, there really isn’t much point to it. My 120€ GTX 750 Ti is, if zeealpal’s data is accurate, superior to the GPU in your 400€ console, it has only 8GB of RAM (which includes the graphics memory) and I ran out of things to list.

Go with a PC. Seriously. I like consoles as much as the next peasant (in fact, I was one for about six years, until the aforementioned 750), but using one as a PC is like using a Formula 1 car to do your shopping.

Thanks for the Links, interesting reads @Richard Marklew
I’m in no way comparing them, except pricewise and that gfx hungry games like them :wink:
So I though maybe the PS4 is more powerful than it actually is and this has been done before. Thanks for clearing this.

@PixelJanosz: I see, I’m thinking about getting the GTX 980Ti. My MoBo is quite old (2009) and I had problems with ram parts bigger than 4GB already, would newer gfx cards fit onto every Mobo? SHould I open another thread for this?

Well. It should work, provided the card physically fits inside the computer case. My own motherboard is running PCIe 1.1 and the PCIe 3.0 graphics card works just fine - albeit somewhat slower than it would in a more up-to-date board.

So it something wrong with my graphics card or rather RAM? One more thing what type of rendered fur games like Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and Spyro Reignited Trilogy(for example Bianca the Rabbit sorceress),Ratchet and Clank PS4 remake(Ratchet the Lombax) got?

Lmao. most gamers don’t understand this

1 Like