Welder

Here you go. Addon that automates creation of welds along the edge of intersection of two objects. This is very fresh script and probably with a lot of errors but I hope it will help some of you and speedup creation of your hard surface models. For now it offers two types of welds.

EDIT:
Welder has been updated with new features and hopefully better functionality,

• Added 3 new weld types (total of 5) which can e chosed from list with icons,
  • Fixed initial size,
  • Added modal operator. Size and rotation can be now easily adjusted using mouse movement (LMB to apply desired transform),
  • Updated both for 2.7* and 2.8.

welder

• Drawing:

Draw

• Profile editing widget:

• Decals:

Decals

41 Likes

omg this is super cool!! xD
thanks!

1 Like

Ooooooooooo indeed this is really great !!!

1 Like

Niiiiiiiiice! Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

looks awesome. what about flat or smooth weld? cornice?
well done, will be watching this with interest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been looking for something like this since Iā€™ve been doing this manually, but I use it to join meshes smoothly. As Meta-androcto asks, is it possible to get a smooth weld?

1 Like

Thanks for comments, Iā€™m glad You like it :). It is possible to make a smooth welds and Iā€™ll try to update this in first place but there are also some major bugs I have to deal with.

1 Like

hereā€™s what Iā€™m referring to.
I used your addon to create the spline (which it does really well!), then deleted the object youā€™re deforming with said spline and instead chose another spline as the profile, resulting in this nice pseudo-meshfusion effect.
If your addon could come with a few profiles that the user could select, thatā€™d save me a few more clicks.

5 Likes

Yeah. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m aiming to.

1 Like

Hi JohnnieWooker,

Welder looks absolutly great.
But it dosenā€™t work for me.
If I want to activate I get this error.
(But it still marks the checkbox)

Exception in module register(): 'D:\\Blender\\2.77\\scripts\\addons\\Welder\\__init__.py'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 349, in enable
    mod.register()
  File "D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\Welder\__init__.py", line 223, in register
    bpy.utils.register_module(__name__)
  File "D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\modules\bpy\utils\__init__.py", line 612, in register_module
    raise Exception("register_module(%r): defines no classes" % module)
Exception: register_module('Welder'): defines no classes

If I want to start it via searchbox, I get this error.

Error: 'D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\Welder\weld.blend\Object\': nothing indicated
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\Welder\__init__.py", line 194, in execute
    directory=directory)
  File "D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 189, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: 'D:\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\Welder\weld.blend\Object\': nothing indicated

Win 7
Blender 2.77 (23.04.2016)

1 Like

Oh, I actually forgot, but I did get an error as well. The addon works perfectly otherwise though, so not sure what happened there.

JohnnieWooker writes via PM to me:

"Hi,

Thanks for testing my Addon. Iā€™m writing through PM because my every post have to be verified by moderator due to little number of posts and this way is faster.
First error iā€™m already aware of, but the addon itself should work despite of those exceptions. If checkbox is checked you should have the ā€œWeldā€ category on the bottom of Tools panel. If not, let me know, iā€™ll send you a plaintext script ready to run as a text when Iā€™ll be back from work."

Yes, works great.

Itā€™s me or a little bug?

The Weld not quite going around.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!
Maybe you could give weld mesh a better name, something like weld strip etc. instead of plane.

This looks awesome (Ā¤ĀæĀ¤)

+1 for Mighty Pea reference.

How about adding ā€˜dirty/blobby/polished/whateverā€™ welds?

can you post your code on github?

Great add on!! Thank you !:slight_smile:

It is something said above by others too: why not making a ā€˜meshfusionā€™ kind tool from this?

MmAaXx, pitiwazou, Bernardo, tungerz, stanislavS: Thanks! Iā€™m really glad you liked it :slight_smile:

Sure, It is possbile. I was thinking about it myself. For now I dont want to drop the original idea as it is non invasive for the source meshes but Iā€™ll gladly prepare another option for smooth welds.

Thankā€™s for pointing a bug. If you will be able to reproduce the error and send me a .blend file Ill try to look into it.

Yeah! Iā€™ll deffinitely do that! Actually the script started as a test so I wasnā€™t really considering proper naming.

Sure. Here it is: https://github.com/JohnnieWooker/Welder/blob/master/Welder

I have to admit, I wasnā€™t expecting that big response :). Script was just made in order to test if Iā€™m able to ease my work a little. I wasnā€™t expecting to continue working with it but you really encourage me to do so. Thanks :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s cool thanks. Perhaps you could add the ability to define the thinkness of the weld ?