possible to extend UV grid to place udim tiles?

Hello,
I’m using Renderman and Blender and trying to uv map my objects for painting in Mari. It’s currently very tricky to move the uv’s out to a correct tile (nearly impossible). Is there a trick on how to do this in Blender? In Maya you can simple extend the UV grids so that you can see your tiles.

regards
stefan

The same situation. Any solution^ will be great…

could you show what you mean by extending the tiles in maya? i dont know if i understood your question.

What if…

…you had used edited screengrab from Blender’s UV editor?

Not trying to pretend this was my idea. This was mentioned somewhere here before iirc.
Hope helps.

Hello,

Yes, I should have made a screenshot to explain better. Below is an example where I have extended the grid by 5 units to see 5 uv-tiles (or rather the boundary or the uv-tiles). Does this make sense?

best regards
stefan

@eppo
Thanks for that screenshot! I can see the “workaround” now (since Blender can’t display udim tiles at the moment). I made my own uvgrid image which I load into the editor and just add repeat in the coordinates. Not a perfect solution but it will work until we might get udim support in the future. But this will be enough for me when I do the uv-layout. Thanks!

best regards
stefan