Always Fucking Render These Layers

I got tired of always having to set my scene layers before rendering, or forgetting to do so and then rendering an incomplete scene, so I made this:

Give it a try! It works for command line renders as well, and it could save you a lot of aggravation:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/Scene_Layer_Override

Yep… it just makes too much sense. Gonna add this to my stack of plugins. Cheers ;).

xD
sooo true!

Simple solutions are often the best solutions! Good stuff :slight_smile:

Otherwise, you have this button :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447641[/ATTACH]

It does the same thing, there’s no synchronisation anymore between layers in viewport and those you chose in Scene panel -> Layer -> Scene.

The title says it all! I can just feel the frustration when after a few hours of what was to be the final render you go “Oh shit! Where are the mushrooms?!”.

This is a great idea - it’s one of those things that you didn’t know you needed until it shows up. Thanks!

Thanks for the addon.

I’m not sure, but I think that even with the addon the user could make mistakes and end up forgetting to include something in the final render. From what I can see, it is rendered only what is marked from the addon. If you add a new layer in Blender layers and forget mark that new layer in the addon layers, then this new layer will not be rendered. I think that for the render result should be taken into account the selected layers from the addon ‘AND’ selected layers in Blender layers.

awesome one but it should also work with multiple render layers

Yeah, that’s true. I guess nothing beats good old double-checking before hitting that F12 key. As I was writing my previous post, I was thinking exactly what you said. In the end, no amount of coding can compensate for human error.

I guess a simple solution would be to have the addon check the active layers in the viewport against those activated in the addon panel and give a warning if they mismatch, and offer the option to either cancel or continue with your render. I don’t know if that’s possible, I haven’t seen many operations that require confirmation in Blender, apart from the delete command and quitting Blender without saving.
But even a message that warns you of the aforementioned mismatch while the render is in progress would still save some time, by making you aware of the problem.