Two instances of blender splitting render animation between CPU and GPU

I’m affraid to do this and then go to work in fear of frying something. I want to render part of my animation on my CPU then render the latter part on another instance on my GPU. My concern is that this wont be what is really happening even if I set it up this way in the properties tab-OR-I’ll just cook my board. I’m not very technicle on this stuff so I thought I would ask.

My concern is that this wont be what is really happening
Why do you think that ?

even if I set it up this way in the properties tab-OR-I’ll just cook my board.
Computers don’t generally have a self destruct mechanism. All computers should come with adequate cooling to control the temperature of the cpu and gpu. If it does overheat because you have not taken care of your machine then it just should shut itself down.

I built mine and it is a AMD black FX so it can be over-clocked. I’m assuming even rendering with GPU it is integrating the cpu…So In the long run it might be slower. anyway I’ll give it a try. cheers

It does work, and won’t damage your computer.

Just make sure that the CPU rendering version is either lower CPU priority, or running on 1 less cores than your CPU has, I’ve found that the GPU rendering instance of Blender does use your CPU a bit, and you don’t want it slowed down.

Thanks. Ya I did some testing. first, my GPU Nvidia740 renders smoke faster and cleaner always. My AMD 6 core black FX CPU goes faster if there isn’t a buch of smoke and effects like trasparency-with color, Shadows even complicates more… anyway, I tried a single frame animation with motion blure-it was definately being used, all same frame no smoke. just CPU=5 minutes Just GPU=6 minutes . BOTH at the same time like we are talking about= CPU 6min 45 sec. ----GPU 5 min 15 sec. So what you said does make sence. but I tried on different frames with smoke and the CPU just acts completly slugged.