Campfire

Hey guys, I’m looking for some feedback on this piece. If you have any suggestions to improve it please feel free to chime in, since I am looking to get the best possible end result for my portfolio.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zKgLZ

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Here’s a more recent version. Added some debris to the ground, changed the plants, lighting, and rocks, and changed the fire. I will now work on adding more burning items in the fire itself, since right now it’s just a bright circle and while it’s visually pleasing isn’t that realistic.

Those trees look pretty neat.
Adding some dirt, ashes, charcoal and glowing embers would help make the fire look a bit more real, now it looks too much like a glow effect surrounded by a bunch of sticks. I suggest looking at some reference photo’s to see how campfires are built up.
If you’re only doing a still render you could probably up the poly count on those plants a bit.

The grass really close to the fire wouldn’t last long. And the wood on the fire isn’t burnt. The fire itself looks good. There really need to be ashes, half burnt pieces of wood, stuff like that, to make it look realistic.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I’ll try to add more debris in the ring around the fire to see if that helps.

Added some debris to the ground, changed the plants, lighting, and rocks, and changed the fire. I will now work on adding more burning items in the fire itself, since right now it’s just a bright circle and while it’s visually pleasing isn’t that realistic.

You could add some heat distortion.

There is a tut on CG cookie if you don’t know how to:
https://cgcookie.com/archive/creating-heat-distortion-effects-in-blender/ (tut is free but you need an account)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxh2gzj4to5tyo4/heat%20distort.blend?dl=0Forgot to adjust settings, they are a bit high atm.

That fire looks huge comparing it to the mature trees, unless they are some dwarf variety or something. Flames are high enough to easily reach the lower branches if they were nearer. If trees are normal-size, the campfire would have to be a bonfire and there is not enough fuel evident to support that. Even as a campfire, the fuel looks real thin for such a robust set of flames. The dirt surrounding the fire looks like sand, an unlikely situation, and is way too cleanly – think about ashes (black & grey) unburnt wood fragments (mostly looking charred) and darker brown dirt (typical for a forest floor due to all the decomposing leaves over the years), plus not just a few angular stones around it (looks like they just came from a quarry) but a full ring of rounded, more aged stones, if indeed those are stones I see. Where is the human element? This fire did not build itself (I hope :wink: ).

Yes, I would have to agree that there needs to be more substance at the base of the fire to help sell the realism, but its a great start! :smiley:

I am very new still with blender and i’m thus not even sure if this is entirely possible or not, but if so, I would recommend trying to make some of the leaves directly above the campfire turn brown and possibly shriveled. Work looks amazing so far!

Thanks for the help everyone!
Here’s the finished product:

This looks like one of the Andrew Price tutorials… even trees looks like from his Architecture Academy packs…Dont get me wrong, it is looking good, im just wondering how much you actually did.