Mazda 787-B (1991 Le Mans Winner)

Hey all, it’s been quite a while.
Getting myself back into Blender with something I’m familiar with, a car. And this time, a special one. I guess you could consider this part two to my Ford GT40 WIP, the 1967 Le Mans winner.

The Mazda 787B (1991 Le Mans winner):

^My latest progress, obviously still WIP

^What I had at the beginning of the day

Comment your thoughts :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Attachments

gorgeous duh

It looks awesome!

@kwikker and @Deadway Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Mostly working on improving the materials recently. I’ve still got a lot to learn about materials and rendering. I’m a lot happier with this car paint, but I’ll be changing it once I texture the model, because I don’t think the racing livery had flakes…

HDRI you need one HDRI in your render

I agree with wikifry.also you can put your model onto the background image like racing track.it would look awesome

Y e s a 787 b!!!

I’ll be focusing on all that once I’m actually done the model. For now the main focus is modeling/texturing.

Ha, I realized that I’d never seen someone do one before, so of course I had to…

Here’s a rough attempt at texturing the wheels. I recognize that the bump maps are maybe a tad strong :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m still looking for any decent reference on the sidewall of these specific Dunlop tires. I may have to use my imagination a little bit if I can’t find anything lol
(always make sure to click on the images in this thread to see it in higher quality)

Your overall job on modeling is superb!
I agree with you about the bumps beeing too strong.
Looking at some formula 1 tires, which are similar for the material i guess, you might need some more gloss.

great car!

Hey guys, gonna get back into this project now that I have some time again. Here’s where we’re at so far:

More to come soon.

impressing level of detail! like that winner :slight_smile:

did this long time ago still have not finished.

Very nice work on this project. I particularly like all the effort you have put into the tyres - marvellous, wheels also.

I would not be tempted to make the tyres too shiny, the picture @strapazie linked is of brand new tyres with the releasing agent still in place. After a few laps this would be long gone.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Clock.

great job!787B is one of my favorites!i like the detail on the tires,the worn bit.how did you add that detail if i may ask?

Thank you for the support as always Eric!

Looks good! You should get around to finishing that.

Appreciate the kinds words! I had similar thoughts on how shiny to make the tires. It didn’t seem right to have them be that shiny but also have the wear and tear I put on mine.

Thank you! The wear on the tires is all done with bump maps, and a color map for some of the dirt. All done in GIMP.

I’m hoping to get some time to work on this soon. Stay tuned!