Blender in team production questions

Hi All,

1st post alert :slight_smile:

I’ve been learning Blender for the last 12months. I love it and think it could be really successful in our production environment… That being said I have noticed a few little things that would cause major issues in a team production setting.

• Blender seems to create new versions of materials when an existing one is applied to a new object… eg. wood, wood.001, wood.002, wood.003. Is there a way of permanently changing this behaviour?

• I’d also like to permanently prevent blender from packing any textures or assets. These all need to be server side assets. This is important as it a client needs to make a texture change across a range of renders/sets… this needs to be propagated by changing the one single server file. Is there a way to do this?

I know Blender is used in collaborative environments so I assume the above is possible. Any assistance would be much appreciated!!

Danny

One man band here :wink:

I will suggest you go ask devs in mailing list or irc. :slight_smile:

How exactly are you applying the materials to objects? Linking material to object does not create copy unless you do something funky.

Uncheck the checkbox “pack external data” in File > External data and save file as default startup file.

link material. ok I’ll look out for that. Sorry for the incredibly long delay in replying. I need to change my notification settings.:rolleyes: