BGMC22 Discussion: Theme Voting

The start date is the 19th of November. The theme will be announced when the contest starts.

Late Entries:
***Last round,a team put in an entry a day late that did really well. While not criticizing, I would like to formalize how late entries are dealt with. I propose a penalty of 20% of your votes per day. So if you put in your entry a day late, you will get only 80% of your votes. If you put in your entry 2 days late, you’ll get only 60% of your votes. This way players can vote for the game they honestly like the most, and late entries will be dealt with consistently

Other Engines:
***Any engine that is integrated into the blender interface can be used. This includes things like blend4web, Moguri’s panda3d plugin, lubos’ armoury engine (When it comes) and so on. It does not include engines such as Unity, Unreal or other such engines (unless someone creates a blender plugin for them).

• All projects must be released open-source, regardless of engine. This includes blend files for the assets if they are exported into some intermediate format (Eg json for blend4web), any scripts, sounds and so on.
  • If your game cannot be played directly in vanilla BGE, you must provide instructions for setting up and testing your game (eg specify UPBGE version).
  • If you require web-server hosting, I suggest Github pages. If required, I can provide temporary hosting for static HTML pages (and custom scripts if you are doing something multiplayer).

Scoring:
***Scoring will be done by judges, and their votes will make up 50% of the score. The community will contribute the other 50%. Scoring will consist of rating the game on the following topics:
[TABLE=“class: grid, width: 500, align: left”]

Description Weighting

Gameplay Experience - How enjoyable was playing it? Did the controls work? Is it complete?
50%

Graphical Quality - How beautiful is it?
25%

Sound Design - Does it have sounds/music/ambience?
15%

Theme Adherence - Is it on-topic?
10%

[/TABLE]

I suggest you to make it after month or so. No way make it after 2 weeks - it’s around time when school starts so it’s gone be a busy week for many people.
I don’t have much of imagination for theme, so I won’t suggest anything.
I like your idea bout late entries - it’s very fair, but it’s also not too much of hit if you are late for 1 day.
About other engines: I’d look into fact if engine is free or paid. If it turns out that the engine is superfeatured allowing user to make 5 times better game than others in 5 times less time, than it’d not be fair if he used a paid engine. It’s because not everyone can afford paid engines. I don’t say that you can’t make amazing games in BGE, but it’s easier(and faster) to make great games in most of paid engines. The b4w, for example, has both - free and paid version. I think there must be some restrictions for paid version. I wanna hear other people opinions, though.

Nice ideas, recent BGMCs have had late entries becoming more and more common.
Partly last time it was because I didn’t want to say to anyone, “You’re late so you can’t enter” which is what may have happened in the past. It’s terrible to spend a week making something and then you can’t submit it. So some way of dealing with late entries is a good thing.

I expect there will be some people who want to use UPBGE or whatever, so making this open is also welcome (Though I’m just going to use vanilla BGE as usual).

In the last BGMC there was one puzzle game, which I really liked but it didn’t do well in the voting, puzzle games never do. I’d love to see a PUZZLE theme, I think that’s the only way making a puzzle BGMC entry could work.

Some other themes I’ve been kicking around in my head since last time:

• Kung-Fu (would finally be able to make that beat-em up I’ve always wanted to do)
  • Lego (I expect some interesting ideas about building mechanics, maybe a tower defense game, maybe a sims)
  • x-files! (Wouldn’t it be cool! My favorite TV show of the 90s in a video game! so many possibilites!)
  • Infinite (procedural generation ahoy! as usual I add this one knowing that without python it’s pretty difficult to do)
  • News! Extra! (be a reporter, take photos, chase news)

For theme: When Giants roamed the earth! :smiley:
It does not make sense to use different game engine then Bge or next Upbge.

+1 for waiting a bit for the next BGMC
+1 for penalties

Themes:
Puzzle could be cool, I thought the basement dweller game was fantastic and more of these type of games would be cool, however it could potentially be challenging for less experienced BGE users.

My suggestions:
-Evolve
-Dimensions
-Tell a story

Lego sounds neat because it describes a style and also mechanics in a way.

I think we should add an entry here https://itch.io/jams too :), so we can expose BGE to the world.

Suggestions:

• Simulation
  • 1 Button
  • Exploration/Crafting/Survival

Those are complex themes (except 1 Button), but I believe we are very capable.

1 button sounds terrible at first but I guess you can make the game about timing.

Games where you have to time the swing of a golf club or the angle/power of a cannon could work.

Music or rhythm are some themes which have been suggested bdfore but vetoed.

I think the more open a theme the more entries it’s likely to attract and the higher quality they will be since people can rework an idea they already tested instad of trying something from scratch.

There’s things that would be fun but might not generate any good games. Like “default cube” where you have to make a game out of only 1×1×1 cubes. Making a game like that would probably be moe fun than playing it. :slight_smile:

+1 for no late entries
Maybe the rule should be that you must post a download link in the theme announcement thread and when the times is up the thread gets closed.

My theme suggestion is “Demastered” again, so basically re-make a simplified version of a small part of your favorite game, but make sure everyone can recognize the game.

lol, last BGMC I didn’t plan on releasing my game any ways, so this time it shouldn’t be late- I am ready to have another BGMC (this time I will have more time), but I agree that we should wait a bit for school to settle down.

@Smoking Mirror

Default Cube is 2x2x2 tho :stuck_out_tongue:

Doh! Anyway, something like that…

How about a Cards based theme … which may include classic deck of 52 or something like HearthStone.

I agree with the penalty for late submissions, but shouldn’t it be more like 15%? seeing as each day over should deduct one days percentage (100/7 == 14.something). Unless we are doing 2 weeks, which would make the deduction 8% in which case we’d have to increase it to a more reasonable number that feels more like a loss to late teams (sorry about that btw, we all had other stuff during that week and no-body really was able to work at the same time as other people).

Also, I’ve noticed that our themes have inspired a lot of player exploration/puzzle/timed thing games, maybe we should mix up the style of topic. (it is possible that these games are just the fastest fun games to make, so changing theme style won’t do anything). I really liked the idea behind the BGMC 16 (17 maybe) STEALTH. This was so dope because it was about a style of game, rather than something that your game should incorporate, and honestly that style of subject makes a lot more sense to me that “Underground” or “Flight”… just a thought. anychow, with this not in mind, some other ideas for theme could be “stars”, “microscopic”, “illegal”, or “lost” or some other just intriguing word like that…

I think we should wait until maybe holiday break to start work, since lots of people will have time then (or maybe they will be travelling:() idk whatevs works for me and I think most of the rest of the team. Our schedules are always full. XD

I love the idea of an X-files game! At first I thought, “well, it wouldn’t be fair to people who didn’t see the show” (They’re missing out, BTW) but than I realized that X-files is really open ended; it could be about conspiracies, the FBI, the supernatural, monsters, aliens, the illuminati ect… It’s more of a range of ideas and concepts than a definitive theme…

My other idea, which I put forward last time, is “demastered” . The idea is to take a game and “demaster” it for an older system. Mass Effect for PS1 or Battlefiled for the Dreamcast are good examples.

here’s my suggestion:

Time Conrol
-the player’ll have many things and emnemies, to fight them, he needs to collect and use orbs which slow down time allowing him to kill enemies.
-many puzzles and places gets closed if the player doesnt slow down time. If he does, then he can cross those things, if doesn’t, well, it’s the Restart Level button for him!
-Use time slowing creatively and get around puzzles

1. I think this coming December would be a good time for the BGMC, because, as people mentioned, it’s the holidays.

2. Themes I think are cool, sort of unique, and may work:

• Games where you literally become (or where the camera focuses on) different things (such as a camera, inanimate objects, lighting, enemies, etc.) throughout the game
  • Games that emphasize cloning
  • Games where you co-op with multiple AI

I am also interested in (as suggested) beat’em ups.

Dont care when i just wana do another one , mabie try to get something working in blend4web if they get keyboard controlles in.
themes:
Multiplayer
cuddly
time
survival
grind

Soon, real soon now. At the end of this week I shall start organizing things. So it’s probably just over a month away.

+1 for formalized late entry handling.

I did have a somewhat different (and perhaps a bit radical) idea along similar lines:
What about making the deadline for game submission the same as the deadline for voting?
So you could submit your game (and vote on other games) anytime between the contest announcement and the declaration of the winner.
Penalties for entering late would occur naturally, without the need for artificial rules; the earlier you submit your game, the less exposure it gets, and the fewer votes it has a chance to receive.

Taking this one step further (perhaps one step too far?), maybe submitted games could be updated at anytime. This would allow for developers to take voter-feedback into account, and voters to take developer responsiveness into account.

As for non-BGE engines, would external OSS engines which involve a blender workflow be allowed? (namely, godot)