Free piece of Blender history; Sun Ultra 10

Hi all,

I want to part from the Sun Ultra 10 on which Blender was compiled in 2001 at NaN in Eindhoven.
I’d hate to have to bring it to the waste disposal.

Who is interested ?

– Hans Lambermont

I’d say this is the most epic “first post” on Blenderartists, ever.

I think the best place for that machine would be the Blender Institute. Would that be a possibility?

heh :slight_smile:

I think the best place for that machine would be the Blender Institute. Would that be a possibility?

Already tried that. Ton really has no space for it. I hope to find someone here with an interest in old SUN hardware with a connection to Blender’s past.

– Hans

I have read before that one of the earliest committers to Blender as an Open Source project was a guy named Hans, do you happen to be that guy?

If you’re coming back to Blender (and even its development), I think you’ll be delighted as to what has become of the project.

If I weren’t an ocean away I’d snatch that up in a heartbeat.

That is indeed me, I imported the code tree into the new open source repository and added GPL headers to all files. So I did not really write all that code :smiley:

If you’re coming back to Blender (and even its development), I think you’ll be delighted as to what has become of the project.

Not at this time. I still use Blender of course occasionally :slight_smile: I’m very happy to see it thrive.

– Hans

Yeah I expect shipping to the other side of the pond would be a few hundred $
Too bad.

– Hans

Tell Ton to suck it up, that belongs at the BI. Just have him use it as a monitor riser or a door stop. That is too cool a piece of hardware to just let it get tossed.

Seriously… NO ONE? Don’t everyone speak at once here! LOL!

This needs to go on the mailing list for sure.

In another ten years it might be worth $10,000 at a Sotheby’s auction of IT memorabilia…
Surely BF have a display cabinet in their foyer for various trophies/awards received and can find room for this?
Come on Ton where is your sense of history and Blender pride? :mad:

A computer that was used to compile an application X. That’s nice and I’d like to hear more about it. But still, it’s just a computer. Yes, very advanced and expensive at the time, but still just a computer.

What would be even more interesting is to know, can it run some distro of linux and compile some late version of Blender? Latest not, because of opengl.