What Lies Beneath

“What Lies Beneath,” my latest artwork. Created with Blender and Cycles.

More info at http://www.reynantemartinez.com/what-lies-beneath

Robot materials are courtesy of The Cycles Material Vault.

4K versions and animations rendered by the ever-powerful and reliable RenderStreet​.

I would really love to know what you think about this. Be brutally honest. :slight_smile:

Excellence lies beneath, superb job. I like very much the plantation and the mechanical characters.

This is just superb. Watched the video about 4 times already!

Stunning work! that vegetation is so realistic, And all the small details you put in are great, like the small bits of water dashed across the robot and foilage :slight_smile: The lighting and the texturing/materials are just perfect too!

I just love this one man, great work as usual! 5 stars from me :smiley:

Looks great! Love the droplets!

Thanks! :smiley:

Brutally amazing!

Top row for me

Top row for me, as well. Stunning work. Congrats, Reynante! And thanks for sharing the scene breakdown.

Superb work and very inspirational!!!
Top row also for me.

Congratulations on reaching the top row! Very well deserved! :smiley:

Enjoyed reading the recent interview-article with you. You definitely have a wonderful gift of telling a story. This is great! 5-stars from me. Looking forward to more.

This is just awesome! especially the collors it’s looks similar to Fujifilm emulation a absolutly love.

While I definitely like the artwork and the graphics, if I were to be looking at this “as a 4x5 on a light-table,” I would have to say that it appears to me to be washed out. Underexposed.

For instance: although you certainly see the creature as “the star of the show,” he’s standing immediately beneath a bunch of white lights. And so, guess what happens? My eye gravitates to the brightest and the most-contrasty elements of the scene. And unfortunately, your little guy is facing serious competition on three out of four sides.

Now, what would I do to salvage this picture in a darkroom? I’d “dodge” the surroundings (to cause them to be darker), and/or “burn in” the little guy to make him lighter. You could, of course, do much the same thing with a little bit of “post.”

Just sayin’ …

Thanks so much for your honest critique. You are right on your points and it does seem to take away a bit of the focus and attention. I’ll take note of this for future pieces. :slight_smile:

Lovely work reynante!
The realism of the foliage is especially impressive to me.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take to create this from start to finish? Do you have any advice for those of us setting out to make something super detailed like this?

Stunning just stunning to look at man!!!

Spectacle!!! Nice job!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: 5*

Thanks! :smiley:

I can’t quite calculate how long this took. But I estimate it took a time of two working weeks combined since I started it two years ago. :smiley:

Regarding your last question, I don’t think I have the position to tell you, but in my case, it is to take it one step at a time until you get to the point where you can call it done. Doing it altogether can seem daunting but if you divide the elements properly, you’ll get there. :slight_smile:

Stunning work, your art never ceases to amaze me.

Wow ! Incredible work. I like the character design and the environment. Great job.