Screen Space Global Illumination Filter (Continued Project)

So this week I tried to continue @martins project called Screen Space Global Illumination (SSGI) (I forgot where did he posted it). it took me days to finally figured how the basics work. And today I just finally made the very basic SSGI Filter. :slight_smile:

Sorry for no video, its 2laggy4me

Be aware that this is not a finished filter, so it has tons of bugs.

Pros:

• it also gives you an ambient occlusion (not noticeable in the 2nd picture because of unstable light balance)

Cons:

• Lag Lag Lag Lag Lag
  • No light balance
  • Lights affects everything in it’s range. Including not-facing normals, or itself.:stuck_out_tongue:
  • No umbra shadows
  • Untidy & unstable
  • The light goes in boxed form
  • Normals will always be flat

Download v1.0:
Press ‘F’ keyborard in game to activate
SSGI.blend (687 KB)

While I can certainly verify those cons you’ve listed, this is impressive work! A game with a static camera would show off this SSGI method really well.

Hello. I am woking on something similar, do you mind if i steal some of your code? I probably won’t release anything but if i do i will definetly credit you.

By the way: if you remove

final += texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture,texCoord);

and set gl_FracColor like this:

gl_FragColor = texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture,texCoord) + final;

you get much better results, the following image uses your exact code, with the modifications that i explained above( plus a slight modification to the environment for looks).

Please Take a look at my take on a SSGI filter: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?412616-Screen-Space-Global-Illumination-Filter-v1-1