Polaroid 635CL - Instant Camera

Update: New studio render…

Original render:

Heey!
I played the beautifully crafted game ‘Life is Strange’ some weeks back and I fell completely in love with these cool, old instant cameras. It was also an opportunity for me to try out substance painter and get to know the basics of the program. Sadly, the textures are not high enough res for high resolution close ups even though textures were exported in 4K. I guess my UV-mapping was bad or something.
Nevertheless - Enjoy!

Thanks!

Attachments

Close ups!

I love the attention to detail, it makes everything look impressively realistic.

Thank you Skier
Your feedback means a lot to me. :slight_smile:

I can feel the chips on the edges of the texture, it looks very realistic. Your detail looks great, can’t tell that the textures aren’t high enough for super close ups.

Thanks rick. :smiley:
It might not be that bad after all then

• but it is noticeable in the bump mapping on the second close up.

I kind of felt like I had to take another shot at rendering this nice model. - and I think it is worth sharing.
Personally, I like to go crazy post-processing renders and for this one I might have gone a bit too crazy. However, if it looks cool it’s okay - I guess.

Attachments

Awesome renders! Has to be one of the most realistic renders I’ve ever seen. What resolution are your textures?

Thank you enigmacat
For the studio render I used procedual textures build inside the compositer. However, for the other renders I used 4K textures from substance painter.

Can you perhaps post an image of your node setup for the plastic material?

Amazing work.

Nice looking studio shot!

Thank you crazyrobinhood2 and 00Ghz! :slight_smile:

@Oby1:
Sure. The main material is pretty basic, but by using ‘stencil kit’ to create masks inside blender I mixed the base material with secondary materials such as dark, dirt and bright, reflective areas (edge scratch).
On the last image you can see one of the masks which was created by stencil kit (The [D] Edge Wear group) and used to create the bump-mapping for the edge scratch.

Stencil Kit: https://cgcookiemarkets.com/all-products/stencil-kit-dynamic-weathering-node-kit/

I also used CynicatPro’s reflection group, which is basically just a fresnel based glossy shader.
You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImvyRepx1U

Futhermore I have build my own ‘FlakesV1’ group, which just adds a bit of reflective flakes to the material. The nodes inside the group is a mess, but here it is anyway:

I swear, You are a liar,
you just found a photo off the internet.

Seriously, This looks incredibly realistic. Your materials are amazing

Love it, congrats for top row!!

great job, well done! the materials are really nice.

very very awesome dude!!!

If you goal is to truly achieve the effect of a studio still-life, you’ll need to read some books and watch some videos on how lighting setups are actually done in studios. A mixture of soft-box and directional light sources are used, with different colored “gels.” Light-levels are measured throughout the frame so that there are not, e.g., too-dark areas such as what now exists at the bottom of the camera body.

Cycles does “soft-box” lighting like nobody’s business, but the resulting render can appear flat and lifeless … or, artificial, when compared to the actual product photos that we see in magazines.

You might therefore wish to consider using a combination of both Cycles and BI techniques, compositing the two images together. Also, use other-than-pure-white light. (Studio lights other than soft-boxes are almost always tinted.)

Maaaaan!.. I remember those. Funny I didn’t remember the eye piece being on that side, but I looked them up and sure enough! Nice job!! Ours was one of those that had that rainbow graphic on it. Yours looks better imho.