Input/Keybindings "Regular key pressed as modifier" not working as intended?

Hi,
I’m trying to set up some hotkeys for sculpting with a tablet. I use the control, shift and alt keys plus mouse1 to rotate, zoom and move my view. So I don’t want to use these for smoothing or inverting my sculpt brush.
What I wanted to do is use mouse1 for normal sculpt, mouse1 + A for inverting and mouse1 + S for smoothing.
In User Preferences under Input. I go to 3D View > Sculpt. There are three sculpting options: Normal, Invert and Smooth. So I set it up as I described. But it doesn’t work: M1+A and M1+S do not invert or smooth. But when I disable my normal sculpt (uncheck the checkbox) they do. So somehow the left click alone takes precedence whether you press a ‘regular key as a modifier’ with it or not. And this is weird, because if you use the shift, control or alt keys as modifier it does work as expected.
Can someone reproduce this, is this working as intended? Thanks :slight_smile:

You’re right, there’s some kind of fighting based on which order Blender is checking for the Lclick with/without the regular key modifier. Regardless, it’s fixable. Disable the Lclick input at the top of the input stack and add a duplicate of it to the bottom, like so:

Cheers

1 Like

Oh wow, that fixed it!
Thank you very much! :slight_smile:
I created a topic on Blender’s stack exchance, I’ll add an answer in case other people stumble onto the same issue.

Amazing! That is really handy!
I didn’t know the order of items in a keymap was directly related to their priority order.
I’m using blender 2.8 btw. I was having the issue using a custom modifier key in my shortcuts.
I wanted to sculpt with my pen and not use the buttons on it, just regular left mouse (pen) press and the letters Z, X, and C for Zooming, Panning and Rotating the view respectively. But The sculpt stroke was being activated even with these custom modifiers pressed beforehand…
Thanks a bunch!