IronMan WIP

Hi guys, working on ironman, newbie here, please give feedback and critques for improvement.

looking nice, if you are gonna model it by hand (not sculpt) you can get hard edges with edge crease and using edge split modifier (if you already don’t know that) :smiley:

Thank you for the advice, and yes, i am modelling it by hand. Is sculpting easier to use for organic/ mechanic modelling?

Thank you for the advice, and yes, i am modelling it by hand. Is sculpting easier to use for organic/ mechanic modelling?

Absolutely, later you just retopo over the model. I think there is tutorial on youtube on sculpting hard surface using dyntopo or using multires.not sure…

Good start! :slight_smile:

Hi guys, was busy with work, finally found some time to continue, here’s the progress

Please do give critics on how i can improve :slight_smile:

Here are the wireframes.

Its looking good so far, especially for a newbie. Only thing I would say is you make have started with a bit to complicated of a model for your level at this moment. I would suggest watching tutorials on human proportions and maybe doing just the helmet or a certain piece until you get it 100% correct, instead of a full very complicated model with the poportions a little off.

I say this because I learned this lesson the hard way.

Thank you for your advice, Alanplanes15, indeed true, i find it hard to get the proportion right, especially at the area of connecting the limbs. Do you have tutorial to recommend?

Given the nature of the subject, it’s ok to make it non contiguous. By that I mean there’s nothing wrong with keeping sections separate from each other. It would make it a little easier to manage in terms of shading and defining. Personally I wouldn’t sculpt something like this for a starting project. Sculpting with Blender is tricky enough when you’re used to it.

I would suggest trying something simpler. But you’re actually doing quite well with the construction.

One other thing. Are you using reference? If so, why not use it in the viewports? If I’m trying to replicate something that already exists and is well established in form I’ll often use a few different images, or a 3 view to keep things accurate. Not everyone shares the point of view that it’s “cheating”. I certainly don’t. You can still learn from it, and manage to stay fairly close to the source.

There’s a very decent 4-view of that armour out there. Not official. But it does look pretty accurate. Certainly the proportions are good.

Even if you don’t feel like following it exactly, you can use an image like this to gauge how close you are for the key points. Like the height of the hips. Thickness of the legs. Width of the shoulders. And so on.

Great work so far. :slight_smile:

I would add a background image for you to follow to make sure the proportions are following for example this body.

Just following these proportions your model will start feeling more real and better.

And for tutorials, CGcookie.com has some very good blender tutorials, you do have to pay, but it is worth it in my opinion.

That are between the abdomen and hips is looking like a diaper. Give it more work and some smoothing.

@Macser
Thanks for reviewing my work and guiding me, I learnt something new from you. I will seperate the joint area and keep them as a section itself for shading and defining later.
I havent tried sculpting before, but i had read it on “Learning Blender” by Oliver Villar, which i will definitely have some hands on after i finished this model.

Sorry for not showing my references images, and yes, i had it on my viewports. That’s a really great reference you had linked for me. Appreciated it. Will keep you update with my work on the proportion. :slight_smile:

@alanplanes15 Thanks for providing me the human proportion. the proportion right on the hands and limbs area are the difficulties i am facing, but i will follow tutorials. Definitely will pay to improve my skills :stuck_out_tongue:

@Baho Pwet

After you said it, it does really look like it. Thanks for pointing it out, i will work on it after finishing with the proportion of the upper body and the arm area. :slight_smile:

Here is the latest progress of the model!

Updates on my WIP, 8,448 Tris. Do give me critics!