Jawa Sandcrawler

This is my first attempt at creating a scene in Blender that takes place on Tatooine. It consists of a Sandcrawler, moister vaporators, homestead, twin suns. All done in Blender.

This is what my scene looks like in the default view.

I know it does need work in some areas. But any thoughts or comments for improvement?

nice start. too much red in the rust and the crawlers texture has too much contrast. choose colors that are “nearer together” .

Thank you for your response and feedback. I did some work on the sandcrawler material to make it less contrast and less red. I also added some dirt to the sandcrawler, as well as the vaporators and homestead. I also got rid of the two rock pillars because to me they look ugly and unrealistic.

I hope my changes are good.

This is my Third attempt! As you can see, I did some work to make it resemble the Lars Homestead, added Luke’s Speeder. Did some work on the texture of the Sandcrawler.

Any thoughts or Feedback?

I rotated the Sandcrawler to match the direction it was facing in ANH. I also adjusted the camera focal length, added depth of field, and increased the samples for a better result.

Go back one render that one looked nice this newest one is kind of a terrible angle, there was also some nice reflection going on, just stick with this one its pretty good
https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=451906&d=1473047041

Thank you! I greatly appreciate the responses and feedback!

So with more work done again. This time, I used my own custom made textures instead of CG Textures. I followed the Blender Guru tutorials on PBR Materials, and applied that to the Sandcrawler. I also rendered the sandcrawler, homestead and sand floor on different layers to produce better results.

I’m not sure if I’m too proud of how the Sandfloor turned out. I hope the sandcrawler looks okay. Let me know if I need to make changes or improvements. Thank you all!

I actually decided I didn’t like how that last one turned out, so I went back to using CG Textures. I used a different environment map, adjusted the lighting. Did some tweaking on the materials for the sandcrawler. I hope this is a better change.

This is my scene setup and material setup.

the crawlers rusty surface is so much better in the second last picture. how about beveling the crawlers main hull edges a little. they look too sharp for something that is rusty and in use all day long.

Take a look at this image:

As you can see, your sand crawler is not exactly the same as the in universe sandcrawler. You may want to redo the topology of your model to include more edges if you want. Also I think the twin stars should be a little larger.

Again, thank you guys so much for your honest feedback and opinions.

Here is another attempt I made. I hope this one matches more closely to the one in the movie.

Again, I’m still open to feedback and suggestions. Thank you all again!

I hope that you have 2 suns in the sky :wink:

Chris: Well I’m gonna go bullseye some Wamprats in my T-16.
Quagmire: My God you shoot those things? That’s the first sign of a serial killer!
Chris: There’s two Suns and no women!! What the hell am I supposed to do?!!

It`s a good start but you will have to add a lot more details to the sandcrawler since right now it looks more like a little plastic toy. Details will give it depth and will make it look bigger. Keep up the good work:)

Thank you kind sir for your feedback. I think you are right, it does need more detail. I hope these changes are better.

Yup looks way better already:) Now if you are going to refine the details it will look really great^^

it is really some sort of evolution from a comic look to a more realistic feel. but get rid of the dof.

It evolved pretty nicely. I also think you should get rid of the dof. Add some grime details to the tracks, they distract a bit.

I hope these changes I made add better results. Thank you all very much for your time and feedback

The lighting now seems to bright I really liked the lighting from your post on 10 sep 16 at 12:15 it looked really good this is too washed out.