Page 103 of 108 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2160
    Originally Posted by Edtion View Post
    The only thing I can think of the BI has that's likely to not be included in Eevee, is This Layer Only, and maybe Only Shadow.

TLO can allow you to "light-paint" individual objects by simply placing them on a different layer. OS can sort of "shadow-paint" lights, like adding shadows to the lamps.

Both of these work by allowing you to alter the lights without needing to add blocker-meshes/textures.

Examples of usage would be faking SSS light, or having a character in shadows with back-lighting, to obscure their face/body or whatever without messing up the entire scene just to compensate for their light.

I can see them being removed for Collections but while I could see it shifting to Nodes+groups, I'm doubting it.
    Theorically is possible all the things of a classic render engine. Other thing is the perfomance or complexity.

somebody knows who works the "hair guides" branch? I don't know how to use.

SSS is in Eevee, based on the Separable Subsurface Scattering paper by Jimenez et al. Looks like the transmittance factor from the original paper hasn't yet been implemented though. Still, great start!
    Long time 3D artist and member of the official Cycles Artists Module
    https://www.youtube.com/user/m9105826 - Training, other stuff. Like and subscribe for more!
    Follow me on Twitter: @mattheimlich or on my blog

Originally Posted by m9105826 View Post
    SSS is in Eevee, based on the Separable Subsurface Scattering paper by Jimenez et al. Looks like the transmittance factor from the original paper hasn't yet been implemented though. Still, great start!
    That also means that one of the few remaining major pieces has now been put into place.

Eventually, we'll also need real-time geometry shaders for things like previewing the generated microdisplacement if a Cycles material uses displacement and the object has a modifier using OpenSubDiv. Imagine using the texture paint mode to 'sculpt' an object (generating displacement without the major issues of Blender's multires implementation), it would get even more interesting if sculpt-mode brushes can be switched to the real-time creation of vector-displacement maps.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Blender.jpg

The shader is impressive, also you can mix with procedural textures and shaders without problems

quick preview of the new awesome SSS in Eevee

@Ethan Aeris, I think that translucence in SSS through thin surfaces has not yet been implemented. I think what you get there in the video is because you have not enabled "contact shadow" for the lamp.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

@Yafu , I tested with contact shadows out of the video, and I agree with you that in some cases it gives better results, but sometimes it darkens too much some areas.
    Plus, the result is very "view dependant", contact shadows or not.
    As far as I understand, gaussian fallof behaves better than the Christensen-Burley, as a blur method is implemented for the moment.
    Implementation is indeed recent,and the polish will come along with time.
    Anyways, Clement made an incredible work.
    SSS in real time !!! Thanks to him

maybe I found a bug
    1. Create scene in blender 2.79
    2. Maximize any window (3d viewport, properties, outliner etc.) with Shift+Space
    3. Save this scene
    4. Open this scene with blender 2.8. Window will be not maximize, you will see all windows, and in window which you made the maximize, you will see bug.

Last edited by so3Datel; 15-Nov-17 at 06:51.

@Ethan Aeris, The thing is that the light passing through the mesh you see is not translucency, is just because you have not enabled contact shadow. Unless I do not know how to use SSS in eevee, what I have noticed for now is that what it does is some kind of blurring over the mesh, what is still missing is what I think is more important what is the translucency according to the thickness of the mesh (I do not know the technical name of it). Anyway I think that any kind of translucency has not been implemented yet (translucent shader).

And yes, Clément and all the Blender developers are amazing, and very kind people!

Edit
    In fact I'm not sure about Translucent node. Translucent shader appears sometimes, sometimes disappears. If you open default cube, you can add translucent shader from Material tab. But it does not appear in Shift+A menu. In cases where you can add the node, it seems to be working only if contact shadow is disabled. So now I have many doubts about everything.

@so3Datel, I think I can not reproduce the problem here in Linux and last 2.8 compiled from master (nvidia)
    Last edited by YAFU; 15-Nov-17 at 09:07.

I didn't get an answer if it flicker for those on AMD cards when you press play animation from timeline.

I can only give suggestions, personal opinions and constructive critique, but it is your decision what you do with it.

@bigbad, I get some flickers sometimes with nvidia. Could you share the scene?
    Anyway, you can comment about this kind of concerns in #blendercoders channel in IRC. You look for hypersomniac (or hypersomniac_) and dfelinto. If they have time available, they will respond. It is always better to share the problematic scene with them (instead of only sharing images or videos)
    Last edited by YAFU; 15-Nov-17 at 07:31.

Screenshot_6.jpg

Oh maaah, geeerps. Sub-Surface Scattering looks already incredible for real-time!

I get this even without using the new SSS in Eevee:

So when the translucence I mentioned above is implemented, it will be even more amazing!

The word is that translucence is on the way after (an attempted) addition of the Burley SSS profile, although there are some non-trivial hurdles to getting it working in real time. In fact, it would be the first ever real time Burley implementation that I've seen if they can pull it off. AFAIK, all other Separable SSS implementations stick to Gaussian passes for the sake of speed and the aforementioned technical reasons.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/m9105826 - Training, other stuff. Like and subscribe for more!

Oh, I did not know that the feature was difficult to implement in this kind of engines. Having read that this was an initial SSS implementation, I thought that it was just a feature that remained to implement. Anyway I would be happy if devs manage to implement it even if it is not a real time thing (for final OpenGL render).

I know eevee is the hot new thing and it's probably not optimized or anything yet but is there going to be a display available that approximates the viewport look(and speed!) we get today? For as good as eevee looks, i'm not impressed at all with how slow it is on pretty fast hardware. I keep reading about new features being added almost daily and just think it's getting that much slower.

Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    Oh, I did not know that the feature was difficult to implement in this kind of engines. Having read that this was an initial SSS implementation, I thought that it was just a feature that remained to implement. Anyway I would be happy if devs manage to implement it even if it is not a real time thing (for final OpenGL render).
    The translucence itself isn't very difficult to implement (although it does require some extra information from the shadow map that isn't currently accessible). It's based on a fairly simple get thickness -> attenuate -> add to result method available in the SSSS reference implementation. The difficult thing to implement is the Burley SSS profile, which requires access to surface albedo in its integration, which is currently unavailable.

Originally Posted by obsurveyor View Post
    I know eevee is the hot new thing and it's probably not optimized or anything yet but is there going to be a display available that approximates the viewport look(and speed!) we get today? For as good as eevee looks, i'm not impressed at all with how slow it is on pretty fast hardware. I keep reading about new features being added almost daily and just think it's getting that much slower.
    If Eevee with no extra features turned on is especially slow for you, you should report it. I'm already experiencing 2x-3x FPS over 2.79 with base display settings.

The Monday meeting this week
    https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/...er/048890.html

One of the big things agreed upon is that 2.8 will see a majorly decreased emphasis on new features at the moment in favor of getting the existing projects finished and making 2.8 more usable (which I assume involves hooking up the missing features like modifiers).

In other project news, there's signs that the long awaited ID override ability will be merged soon and Cryptomatte integration is getting close to a completed state. The GSoC project regarding the normal editing tools also appear to be on its way to a merge.
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 15-Nov-17 at 13:29.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook