Page 176 of 178 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3548
    though that does raise a question of what happenms to all the stuff in the other sidebar

also I notice that commands have no icon but show key board shortcut whereas tools don't have the shortcut...

Shouldnt both have shortcuts and icons?

Also what happens to commands with options? aren't they actually an active tool?

eg add edge loop is clearly a tool but subdivide is an instant command but with options! (number of divisions)
    Last edited by Michael W; 17-Apr-18 at 08:01.
    Mike Williamson
    www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk

Originally Posted by lsscpp View Post
    as I understood it, scene-level engine equals F12 render engine.
    so, a recap: in 3d viewport we'll get every drawmode that workbench engine allows (wires, solid, texture...) plus the drawmodes of the engine selected at scene-level(F12). The only thing I don't catch is if for cycles we'll have also a nice eevee preview, kind of "cycles realtime"
    Watch the fingers, still hot!

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...port/DrawModes

Originally Posted by xrg View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to monochromatic icons, but color icons probably aren't dominant enough to trip up your color sense. At least not anymore than the icons on your OS taskbar will.
    That's my opinion too. It could become problematic with differently colored backgrounds, because you get rather large color splashes like that.

Originally Posted by Okavango View Post
    And the foundation for that is being laid down as we speak.

The 2.8 ball is really starting to roll right now (having an army of devs. on hand is starting to make a difference).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Blender developer meeting minutes:

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 09 UTC (10 CET) meeting in irc.freenode.net
    #blendercoders. Reminder: meetings are on Mondays, next meeting is 23rd
    April 17 UTC (18 CET).

1) Blender 2.79

So far there are only bugs affecting addons. We will re-visit this in June
    after the code quest.

2) Blender 2.8 and Code Quest

* We are removing Texface from DNA. That will lead to old files not being
    fully-converted to 2.8. We need to investigate if we support in a last 2.7
    release an option to save 2.8 friendly file.

* Ton Roosendaal proposes to post links to all logs, docs, videos etc at
    end of meeting minutes.

* We also need protocol for where things go. For instance code.blender.org
    for reports or end user docs, dev.blender.org for technical reviews/designs.

* Most importantly, aside from internal matters most of the communication
    should go through our public channels (bf-committers in particular).

* As for reporting our progress so far we have a placeholder page for
    weekly tasks, and a workboard intended to be used by the code quest
    members.

We will see by the end of the week if this will work, to be reported back
    here next week.

3) Google Summer of Code

* It is the last hours to choose students. Anyone who reviewed students
    please login and check (and apply as mentor where you want to).

* Ton will do final check today as well.

4) Code quest links:

* Weekly meeting notes - 2018-04-13:
    - https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/...il/049326.html

* Placeholder page for weeklies:
    - https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D.../WeeklyReports

* Code quest workboard:
    - https://developer.blender.org/project/board/80/

Regards,
    Dalai
    My Blender Tutorials | look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Finally BGE have been removed in the branch

Oh, Google Summer of Code... This is going almost unnoticed in the forum due to exciting 2.8 things. Waiting to see what projects are chosen.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Originally Posted by DcVertice View Post
    Finally BGE have been removed in the branch
    Yes it has, RIP BGE.
    https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/...il/106486.html

This is going to be pretty difficult to swallow for those who have placed their entire game making careers on the engine, but it's not like there's been plenty of warning and plenty of opportunity to switch to a different engine (at least give Godot a shot if you want FOSS, a built-in script editor, and a decent link to Blender).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.

Well, I know Clément has experience as a game developer. Maybe one day he wants to make his own game engine using things of his own amazing Eevee... Who knows
    Be patient, English is not my language.

BGE deletion also affects to Blend4Web because Blend4Web depends on some BGE functionality such as navigation mesh generation.
    https://www.blend4web.com/doc/en/phy...igation-meshes

Though, Blend4Web developers now focus on Verge3D, a web 3D authoring application for non-gaming purpose.
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2018/02/sof...eases-verge3d/
    Last edited by bigredshoes; 17-Apr-18 at 12:21.

Originally Posted by lordloki76 View Post
    This is the first step to build the interactive engine. it will very much integrate with blender code (EEVEE + depthgraph + blender animation + etc)
    I'm aware of this, but they will not be doing anything about that until AFTER 2.8's release...this means 1 year minmum and who knows how long maximum....

Besides...unless I could do some proof of concepts with it...I have no idea of it's potential or lack thereof....so my best bet is Godot....My statement did not mean leaving blender(that would just be stupid )...it just means after I finish "Myrlea" I will be looking at Godot in a 'proofing' sense...I did some work with 2.0...testing, but I would have to revisit the testing for 3.x to see for certain....from what I have seen...it looks to be a promising engine with healthy development. For me this means I could stay with it for a few years. I only started with BGE a year ago....so...it's pretty depressing to just get to know an engine and have it decintegrate in your hands.
    "The crows seem to be calling my name." Thought Kaw.
    Myrlea, "The Shepherd's Quest" formerly "Valiant" [project]

Originally Posted by JustinBarrett View Post
    I'm aware of this, but they will not be doing anything about that until AFTER 2.8's release...this means 1 year minmum and who knows how long maximum....

Besides...unless I could do some proof of concepts with it...I have no idea of it's potential or lack thereof....so my best bet is Godot....My statement did not mean leaving blender(that would just be stupid )...it just means after I finish "Myrlea" I will be looking at Godot in a 'proofing' sense...I did some work with 2.0...testing, but I would have to revisit the testing for 3.x to see for certain....from what I have seen...it looks to be a promising engine with healthy development. For me this means I could stay with it for a few years. I only started with BGE a year ago....so...it's pretty depressing to just get to know an engine and have it decintegrate in your hands.
    well, the good news is, the BGE will continue to be just as effective as it has been for the past 10 years. Since there was hardly any development going on for the BGE, using an old version is just as viable as using a new version.

Originally Posted by SterlingRoth View Post
    well, the good news is, the BGE will continue to be just as effective as it has been for the past 10 years. Since there was hardly any development going on for the BGE, using an old version is just as viable as using a new version.
    Unfortunately, that is not the case.

In an app. like Blender, modules that are abandoned eventually start to break down with new versions and using them might mean bugs and crashes (to the point where it is barely usable).

I will mention one of my old projects as an example. In 2.69 it was working fine, then I needed to code a workaround for an important mechanism that broke. A later version yet caused a python script to not see a sensor that it was obviously hooked up to, a couple versions later the project would just crash on starting.

You can either use UPBGE (abandoned at this point) or go all the way to Blender 2.69 (if you want to make sure your game even works).

I don't believe that interactive mode will be a good thing, like actually I see the project. Blender EEVEE is a engine that need a really good machine to work at enough FPS, and it doesn't have lightmaps, so VR is not a target (also the problems with propietary api of vr hardware)... without VR... interactive mode doesn't have a clear use.

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    Unfortunately, that is not the case.

In an app. like Blender, modules that are abandoned eventually start to break down with new versions and using them might mean bugs and crashes (to the point where it is barely usable).

I will mention one of my old projects as an example. In 2.69 it was working fine, then I needed to code a workaround for an important mechanism that broke. A later version yet caused a python script to not see a sensor that it was obviously hooked up to, a couple versions later the project would just crash on starting.

You can either use UPBGE (abandoned at this point) or go all the way to Blender 2.69 (if you want to make sure your game even works).

I'm just saying, for the people who love BGE, the BGE will continue to work in 2.79 as it does now. For other modules, sticking with an old version is more of a dealbreaker. cycles is constantly being updated and stopping at any one release means you will be missing out on future development in that module.

There is no future development to miss out on for the BGE. And really, if they had abandoned it 10 versions ago, it would be in darn near the same state it is now, and the same state it would be in if they decided not to remove it in 2.8.

The obituaries for the BGE are a little late, development has been dead for a long long time.

The obituaries for the BGE are a little late, development has been dead for a long long time.
    Sad but true. I spend a lot of good moments developing games with BGE since blender 2.4x! But i agree we need to move on.
    Glad i made it years ago moving to Unity but for those that yet use it fortunately we have a good Open Source alternative today: https://godotengine.org/
    Godot is already better than BGE was, don't have dumb GPL limitations and can generate build for mobile. Before cry for BGE end please take a look at it.

Originally Posted by DcVertice View Post
    I don't believe that interactive mode will be a good thing, like actually I see the project. Blender EEVEE is a engine that need a really good machine to work at enough FPS, and it doesn't have lightmaps, so VR is not a target (also the problems with propietary api of vr hardware)... without VR... interactive mode doesn't have a clear use.
    Once they decide to start with the interactive mode, techniques like lightmap baking are most likely going to be a part of it. I am pretty sure that Eevee is going to be faster, but especially for realtime purposes, there is a lot of potential. Another standard approach is to have less expensive shaders.
    I believe that the interactive mode has plenty of use cases. Even for filmmaking, it has the potential to be an interactive laboratory in a sense, where ideas can be tried out easily and adjustments can be made as you go.

Devs told that eevee is not a engine for realtime, that perfomance was secondary, for that reason we have a expensive AO, a expensive SSRm,,,. Of course that they can add that type of things but I don't see clear the interactive mode target. Anyway, by now the development of 2.8 is really good. We will see the suprise and what do some developers, like animation nodes developer.

Godot is best solution for those used BGE and still want foss licence. Now Blender developers can really focus on stuff that is needed.
    Skype - open source
    Graphene CPU

An initial write-up of the modifier system design for 2.8.
    https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...urce/Modifiers

Sergey mentions in the mailing list that Mai will play a key role in getting the modifiers fully operational again (working remotely, she won't be at the Institute with the others).