Page 123 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2464
    It's always nice when Brecht stops by to talk technical. I always learn a lot, even though it's highly vulgarized. Hi dude ! I saw Mai committed offscreen optimization for displacement, we hadn't seen anything from her in a while. Guess she's also gotten a cool job after her initial development attracted attention, at least I wish this for her.
    By the way, since you worked on hybrid rendering recently (awesome), what's the behaviour for CPU-only features ? Are they simply disabled ? I'm thinking of displacement obviously.
    Last edited by Hadriscus; 12-Jan-18 at 12:23.

Originally Posted by brecht View Post
    Adaptive subdivision and displacement in the Eevee viewport would be great, but is probably quite a while off. But just one misconception I want to correct..

"Microdisplacement" is not a technical term for a specific algorithm, I think it's perfectly fine to use for the features we have in Cycles. The way Cycles subdivides the limit surface into micropolygons within some error threshold is effectively the splitting and dicing part of the REYES algorithm.

There's lots of variations like per bucket dicing, geometry caching, GPU tessellation pipelines, render time ray marching, etc. I wouldn't say one is more real than the other or that they are very different, it's all about adapting to the renderer architecture and making trade-offs.
    I had always understood (and was taught by a long-time Pixar and ILM alum) that microdisplacement specifically describes adaptive subdivision that actively takes intended displacement into account at dicing time rather than just relying on uniform or camera-adaptive dicing. I'm surprised to learn that it's a more fluid term than that.
    Long time 3D artist and member of the official Cycles Artists Module
    https://www.youtube.com/user/m9105826 - Training, other stuff. Like and subscribe for more!
    Follow me on Twitter: @mattheimlich or on my blog

Originally Posted by Hadriscus View Post
    I saw Mai committed offscreen optimization for displacement, we hadn't seen anything from her in a while. Guess she's also gotten a cool job after her initial development attracted attention, at least I wish this for her.
    That commit was actually done by Brecht, not Mai. I'm guessing Mai is busy with other things now and does not have time to really get into Cycles code.

If she did get a cool job somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if she notifies the community (though what would be nice is for her to get a contract with the BF, so she can implement some remaining todo items like the geometry cache).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

New Outliner filters in blender 2.8

Do you guys think, cycels procedual textures (nodesytem) can benefit from a bit more powerful bokeh image node.
    procedual bokeh.png

Outliner filters are fine, so long as blender can deal with larger amounts of data...like the issues with object selection when you have thousands of objects in one scene...not the best workflow, but sometimes necessary..
    I would also like to see drag and drop parenting/un-parenting etc in the outliner....the outliner has been in the stone ages for a long time now These things may already be implemented/fixed, but I do not use 2.8 yet...so I really do not know.
    "The crows seem to be calling my name." Thought Kaw.
    Myrlea, "The Shepherd's Quest" formerly "Valiant" [project]

Originally Posted by JustinBarrett View Post
    I would also like to see drag and drop parenting/un-parenting etc in the outliner....the outliner has been in the stone ages for a long time now These things may already be implemented/fixed, but I do not use 2.8 yet...so I really do not know.
    Congratulations! It is already possible to parent-unparent by drag and drop since 2012: https://developer.blender.org/rB98fd...8b3a6b604567d9

Oh really ? I see "authored by Mai" and I figured it meant she wrote it ? (https://developer.blender.org/rB5bd9...41802bb5b2edc0) Great news on the outliner... hopefully it becomes a powerful tool as in Maya !

That's teamwork.
    Mai writes a patch. Brecht reviews it, add quick fixes and commits.
    So, they are both credited as authors when you take a look at branch history.
    https://developer.blender.org/diffus...istory/master/

Somebody knows how to use the new depsgraph in macos?

Today I played a bit with with Eevee and the irradiance grid.

What really frustrates me about the irradiance grid is that it re-bakes after every tiny change you make. And this eats up a lot of time.
    So wouldn't it be nice if we could change it in the properties settings if we want it to "auto re-bake" ( the way it is now ), or that it only re-bakes after pressing a button?

Originally Posted by zeauro View Post
    That's teamwork.
    Mai writes a patch. Brecht reviews it, add quick fixes and commits.
    So, they are both credited as authors when you take a look at branch history.
    https://developer.blender.org/diffus...istory/master/
    That's what I thought ! Thanks !

+1 cache or bake button for the irradiance volume?
    And status about the baketime in the progressbar in the infoheader.
    Last edited by Love 3D; 13-Jan-18 at 21:07.

Uv editor got ms word type scale, rotate and translation option in 2.8

Does someone know how the outliner will handle the following case :
    Object1 parent of an Object2
    And now putting the Object2 in Collection1 and Collection2, keeping Object1 only in the Collection1

At the moment it duplicates the Object2 in the outliner, but does not put anything in the Collection2.

I think they already think about it but I just wondered

Collections was supposed to be working as group. An object can be in several collections and nested collections should be possible.
    But I am not sure they thought about the problem of how to display that in outliner and keep hierarchy representation in outliner, too.

I am not sure they have an answer, yet.
    Currently, it does not work.
    Collections can be set-up side-by-side. But in this case, child is not apprent in outliner without its parent.
    And in the case of nested collections, child is visible but visibility or selectability icons are not working for its collection.

I think that a good solution is to have several ways to represent that with several kind of priority.
    Priority to hierarchy, outliner like in 2.7x with a list of collections in which is the object item mentionned once.
    Priority to collections, with current representation displaying several times same object item but a collection mentioned one time.
    I am also wondering if a nodal view is not more appropriate to display collections and hierarchies at same time.

The ghost of the substance designer?)))
    In fact, blender's node system is quite powerful... Can it make sense to add a different kinds of substance like a nodes?

I tried finding a suggestion thread or something to that effect but I'm pretty new to the site and got a bit lost...I was just wondering if there had already been a suggestion to add another base polygon to the mesh menu and that is a capsule with options to either get half of one or a full one and the amount of smoothness or bevel I guess it would be, of the round part. Again, sorry for noob comment but I really did search! plus I figured since this was a 2.8 build thread which is still in Dev, I thought it was ok to post this question here.

Those suggestions are great for https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/

Hiiu, Nőmme, Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia, EU
    Originally Posted by KenyZ View Post
    The ghost of the substance designer?)))
    In fact, blender's node system is quite powerful... Can it make sense to add a different kinds of substance like a nodes?
    As they remove the internal renderer Ton indicated interest in seeing the texture nodes re-implemented/designed as a more general purpose system IIRC. All it basically needs is an auto cache/bake feature for the end result.

Originally Posted by ejnaren View Post
    Those suggestions are great for https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/
    now if only that site was self contained and actually worked for me. But alas I don't trust random third party script hosts.
    FunLinks: . . . . . . .