I think I found a bug in 2.78

Not sure if I should go straight to the bug tracker so I decided to ask the community if it’s just me.

So first, my specs,

GPU: AMD R7 240 1GB GDDR5 Vram
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030 3 Ghz
Ram: 8 GB GDDR3

And… the problem

Well… In blender 2.78 I was trying to change an objects shading value to “smooth” but… it doesn’t look too smooth…
(2.78 is in the right)
It looks like it’s doing some weird triangulation thing or… Dicing?

For reference here’s the same scene but with the shading in flat.

No blend file so we cannot check anything
Presumably it’s not just a sphere given the number of faces it has, therefore does it show the same effect with the default UV sphere ?
Does it happen in previous versions ?
If you feel it’s a bug just report it, a separate thread is not really required for every bug report.

The Arch Linux builds have done that on me for quite awhile. If I build from source it goes away. I figured it was just a stupid Linux Radeon Open Source driver bug, but I see you’re on Windows.

If you create a cube and select vertices does it highlight edges really weird too?

no such problems here
2.78RC1, win7, nvidia GPU…

ps
could be GPU/AMD drivers

No problems here too, 2.78 rc1 OS X, AMD GPU

Yeah, yeah it does do that too.

No blend file so we cannot check anything

Well… I didn’t feel a blend file was necessary as it happens regardless of what blend file I open/create

Presumably it’s not just a sphere given the number of faces it has, therefore does it show the same effect with the default UV sphere

actually it is a uv sphere, happens will all objects in the scene as well

Does it happen in previous versions ?

Yeah if you look at the screenshot, the left side was blender 2.77 and the exact same sphere(and pole) was smooth

If you feel it’s a bug just report it, a separate thread is not really required for every bug report.

Fine

Toss me a link to your bug report, I’d like to follow/help out if needed.

If it is behaving differently between 2.77a and 2.78, it is worth being reported. But anyway you share with developers some scene where you can reproduce the problem.

The problem seemed to fix itself…

It’s fine now.

• Make a UV Sphere
  • Set smooth
  • Duplicate and move it

Often the one that is selected is smooth and the other has those artifacts.

Edit: Ah, if it fixed itself for you perhaps I’ll file my own bug report later.

- Make a UV Sphere

• Set smooth
  • Duplicate and move it

still, no such problem here (2.78RC1 on win7x64)

it happened again

Anyway

Here’s my blendfile this time
… pasteall isn’t very cooperative atm…

I’ll upload it later.

A Note: No matter if others can not reproduce the problem. Any of you who can reproduce the problem should report it. You remember: users do not report bugs, users report problems that could be a bug. Developers then decide whether it is or is not a bug. So do not be afraid to report it no matter then it result not being a Blender bug.
You remember to mention operating system, graphics card and all possible information on the graphics card driver.

^Sure, it’s why i test, but if i can’t reproduce the problem i cannot help further… the more users test, the better the information on the problem

They worried so much about optimizing for the setup they programmed it on, they threw out the baby with the bath water. (Code that worked better on other systems got chucked in favor of “streamlining”.) In my experience 2.76b was the last version that didn’t have odd stuff like this, for both the antiquated 32-bit Windows version and 64-bit Linux Mint 17.3 that I’m using. If you’re on AMD, it’s likely you’re going to find problems. I’m also curious, if you’re using Mesa for AMD graphics on Linux, does the checkerboard for alpha transparency render correctly? I’ve had a problem with that as well. (Shows in the outliner, but no dice in the main render.)

No checkerboard here. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to get it to display right on this machine (Linux, AMD GPU).

I think I first noticed the smooth shading problems around when the split normal stuff was included. As soon as I narrow down why if I build from source it goes away I’ll post a bug report on it, though. (I’ve got my 3-year-old nephew for the next couple days and can’t really fiddle with Blender at the moment)

Blender 2.79 experimental build/ Windows 10 x64 GTX 650 ( :((((((((((((((((( ) Nvidia driver 376.53
I’ve had this problem pop up in different builds 2.78c/2.79. And it seems to be coming and going :smiley: Also I’ve tried running 2 different builds of Blender simultaneously, and one has it the other doesn’t. I’m just a 3d artist so I don’t build my Blender and use Windows (tho that’s gonna change soon).
Oh and it displays the smoothing while in edit mode and without Matcaps, when you go to object mode or use a Matcap it goes ballistic.