"L'appartement" (Lux Render + Darktable Version)

INFO
This one is my third test with the same scene.
This time LuxRender 1.6 and Darktable 2.0.5 again. (Sorry I like this software so much that I couldn’t resist).

I went straight for the new LuxCore Api which is still experimental.It is in my opinion easier and more straight forward than the old one and I think a lot faster and most important of all you have Real Time Preview!

First I converted my materials from my original Cycles Scene. There out there two scripts that can convert materials and scene from Cycles to Lux respectively but none of them handled the conversions automatically, so I have to do some manual work.

I used Biased-path OpenCL to quickly tweak my materials and then I switched to Path OpenCL for my final render.

I din’t have any difficulties converting my material, except some artifacts whenever I used Bump textures in the fabrics but I guess this has to do with the messy meshes.

The lighting setup is extremely simple, just a Sun & Sky. Originally I’ve placed some Light Portals but unfortunately they are not supported in LuxCore yet.

I know that there is still some noise in my images but since my tests are done from a professionals point of view (you know were almost every time the deadlines are very tight) I decided to stop the rendering process in 10000 samples which resulted in approximately a little more than an hour and a half per render except from one camera that needed more samples, 20000 and took less than three hours.

DOF done inside LuxRender.

A couple of minor artifacts were fixed in Gimp and for the post production I went straight to Darktable.

Minor tweaks also done there.
A little noise-reduction, color correction, vignette… mostly typical stuff.

CONCLUSIONS

Lux render is definitely a “beast”, a physically based and unbiased rendering engine in constant development.
The new API makes things a lot easier and using all your computing power including both CPU and GPU is definitely an advantage…and of course RT Preview.

Another huge advantage of Lux though I didn’t took advantage of it my test (so I can have pretty similar conditions for each test) is LuxRenders distributed render. The easiest of all out there in my opinion (along with Mitsuba). You “install” Lux, then fire up all the machines that are sitting in your office and they will all contribute to your render.

I used to think that Lux was slow but in my tests it gave times similar to Cycles (on GPU). The good thing about Lux is that you don’t have to worry much after you setup your scene, you press the button and let the machine get rid of noise.

It is well integrated in Blender (of course it doesn’t feel as natural as Cycles, but I wasn’t expecting that either) and definetely is a top choice render engine if you’re in the FOSS side of things.

Maybe I would like to have some more biased algorithm choices in Lux, you know for those times when you need a render ready as fast as possible.

I think that Lux in combination with Darktable is a nice “photo-graphical-style” work-flow.

You can see my other tests here:
Cycles
Yafaray

And here some more…

Perfect lighting, wonderful scenes :wink:

I’m pretty curious how Cycles would render this, and why the differences occur. It looks like LuxRender has the edge on realism somehow.

ahem…:eyebrowlift2:

Wow! Very nice job . I’ve seen all your different versions and this is definitely the best one, the lighting is incredibly accurate. Luxrender’s team made huge improvements to the engine, LuxCore (old SmallLux) is a very powerful one.

Nice work SunBurn!

I used to think that Lux was slow but in my tests it gave times similar to Cycles (on GPU).

I used to think that Lux was slow as well but after this I will give it another try. What is your gpu?

If you spot any mistakes in any of the settings or if you have to suggest something more optimal for this workflow please post.

@tmz
A “lousy” GTX 970 and I7 3770 (no K here :()

Very professionnal looking render ! It’s clear that the lux version outperform yafaray and cycles in termes of realism.

can you tell us what output raw files did you save from blender ? for me impossible darktable can’t open OPENEXR file from blender. only jpg an png bmp … etc work.

@sharlybg
Thanks for the comment!
To be totally honest I think I could do much better in Cycles now.:eyebrowlift:
Check this one which I feel it’s a lot better, still not perfect.

Darktable can open perfectly fine OpenEXR as long as they are single layer (see my screen-shot below).
It can not open MultiLayer EXR and that’s something to be expected.
Darktable is a Photography Post-Production tool not a compositing tool like e.g Natron

I hope this was helpful.

this is my results: and i always choose simple openexr not multilayer.

This is weird.
I never had this kind of problem.

On the other hand you’re on Windoze and I’m on Linux.
In Linux it works perfectly fine (again something to be expected).

On Darktable site I don’t see any builds (at least official) for Winz so I don’t know if you have compiled it from the source (and did something wrong) or if you’re using a broken build.

Unfortunately I can help you on the Windoze site of things.

Also you can read this which is very interesting

can you try this on a windows machine ? :

darktable build link :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8YPOYnLo3zPNmVVbTVpZU5UU00/view

Unfortunately not at the moment cause I don’t use windoze very often lately. (The past 8-9 years)
They are not installed in any of my machines at the moment but if a find access to windoze machine I’ll do it (but dont count on this).
You can always run a linux live cd install temporarily Darktable from the repos and see yourself if it works there.
Then you can dis you windoze and install linux (just kidding).
Also you can dual boot and have the good (and the bad) of both worlds.

On the other hand it’s not very safe practice to download and execute binaries from sources that you don’t know or trust :yes::eyebrowlift::no:

Also you can read this which is very interesting

I’d read all darktable website some months ago but stop this because i want to buy a new hard drive first before re-intalling my lovely ubuntu.

On the other hand it’s not very safe practice to download and execute binaries from sources that you don’t know or trust :yes::eyebrowlift::no:

the binarie is from this guy I think it is not so untrustable.

https://www.partha.com/But now it is downloadable only here :

hi sharlybg,that darktable build didn’t open exr for me.i converted exr to 32bit tif in “Picturenaut”(free) -> tif format should set to compression = none (default logluv) while saving and opened it.

Excellent work!!! I congratulate!!!