Octane Render for Blender version 3 beta released

If you have a license it’s ready to test, including volumes! I haven’t had a chance to test yet (I’m at work right now), but it’s finally here. :slight_smile: As far as I understand the reason it took so long for the plugin to come out was because of GPL licensing issues.

Jason

I have license, and if development pace and support is like it was with version 2, than it is total waste of money!

I don’t know about version 2, because I left the boat at version 1. I wasn’t happy either about blender support :(. A shame

I haven’t had any issues with support, although it is sometimes difficult tracking down information on an issue that might be scattered around the forums. They have improved on that with bug report sub-forms for each plugin which I find easier to use.

They have extended the upgrade deals for the Blender plugin, which is still $75 to upgrade from version 2 to 3 and it includes the standalone license. That is not too bad, I was expecting more.

Octane V2.x is integrated very nicely into Blender. Feels like an integral part of the Blender.

I remember a lot of problems with the licence server disconnecting all the time… really didin’t manage to use it for anything concrete… But then v1 was a long time ago, maybe they improved.

Thank you for the information, I will look on it and might buy license.

Prepare for Fstorm.

What storm?

FStorm renderer developed by a former octane’s developer

Here is a quick smoke test, rendered to 500 samp/px.

I did this quick animation test of the new plugin with my simple scene:

Jason

There have been a lot of fixes and the plugin has been updated for Blender 2.78. Also the plugin now supports converting Blender’s edge creases to Open Subdivision’s edges and Octane’s baking camera functions. The Alembic and ORBX exports have been moved to the normal export menu instead of being in the properties render panel.

Here is another volume test I have been playing with, a ground fog test:

The plugin is still in beta so no public demo yet.