Animated texture distorting

Hi. So i wanted my character’s eyes to have animated irises. I’ve decided to make them be textures because the eyes aren’t much regular, they aren’t perfect ball and i want them be like this.
The problem to me is that i don’t know how can i adjust UV map to not distort the textured iris wherever the character would want to look. Here’s a video with iris placeholder:

I unwrapped the eye with conformal method, but a distortions are still visible in the 3d view on the right.
My problem is that the iris is becoming smaller when placed to the right corner of the eye. I know that the right corner of the eye is placed further, but notice that it’s an ortographic view, so it’s surely not the case of the perspective, but it’s the iris becoming smaller because of UV map.
My question is how can i adjust UV map to make the iris texture be always the same wherever character would look.

By the way here’s stretch view of the map:

Right corner of the eye seems to be ok (or maybe not?). What’s the case?

This seems to be a pain to animate and will take a lot of images. Why not use a lattice like in this tutorial ?
Anyway if you really want to do it like this, try UVs>Minimize Stretch or manually scale or move some UVs.

Don’t forget to mark your thread as solved if it is.

Just got a cool tip from the Blender conference : use split normals to give a nice shading to the eyes when they’re not spherical.
In other words, control the normals to make the eye shadows and reflections look rounder even if the outline is not round. That’s probably not what you’re after but you can go the other way around : make spherical eyes and use split normals to make a custom shading, so your pupil won’t deform and the eye can rotate properly.

Thanks for tips, but i roughly solved the problem already. I animate only an irises. They stand out from an eye in some places, but it can be hidden by appropriate camera movements. Plus i disabled casting a shadow for irises, to not disclose the cheat
(go to 45th second):

Btw is there any option to get a mail when somebody answers to my thread here? I already accepted this thread’s death, and after few months - surprise :eek:

Yes : Settings > general settings > Messaging & Notification > Default Thread Subscription Mode. You can ask to receive mails instantly when you get a reply. Then go to the bottom of the page to save your settings.