elsa

a portrait of elsa. done similarly as the last one, but instead of doing a new retopo, i reused the basemesh and first snapped it in edit mode to the dynatopo sculpt, by using the magnet. this way i could ensure that the edgeloops flow nicely on her too, even though she has different proportions. then i shrinkwrapped, multires etc… all done in blender with the exception of the two textures needed for the pullover. the textures were made tileable in photoshop, and then i derived normal map, displacement and occlusion map from crazy bump… i tried to improve on the mistakes i did with the last portrait as was shown me in the constructive critiques, and i hope i did better now… so, let me introduce elsa. i hope you enjoy.

Spectacularly top-notch portraiture, I think you have redefined the medium in that regard.

I love this, the structure of the face is really well done. Just the hair bugs me a bit the child hairs follow the parent strands a bit to uniformly but still 5 star work(I hope this gets a top row).

Wonderful work. A very nice “aging with dignity” portraiture. I find the hair to be a bit too shiny though, making it look somewhat fake.

great work! maybe just adjust the reflections in the eyes… maybe the enviroment texture is too strong.

U need displacement

This is a beautiful portrait - regardless of what technique (or software) that has been used, and nevermind the few technical shortcomings it might have, such as the hair roots and the left eyebrow. However much time I’d spent to fix them, I’d never accomplish a portrait as “true” as yours!

On a scale from 0 to 10: 9.5 on a technical scale, several thousands on all other!

You’ve outdone yourself, Doris. Wonderful image! :smiley:

wow, thank you all. it is wonderful to find such great feedback.
yes, the hair, you are all right with your varies critiques on it. i feeled myself that it is the weakest part. keeping these points in mind, i hope i can do better the next time…

wikifry, you mean displacement for the skin? why? for pores? the pullover and the jacket carry displacement, btw…

klutz, this is all blender, with exception of pullover maps that were done with crazybump.

Great job !!!

Oh my god! this has a really big wow effect!!! I almost have nothing to critic! almost hehe
You are getting to a higher level every time!

This is another great image of yours!
Beyond any technical consideration, the sense of life is amazing, and even if you can guess that is a CG image, she is not even close to the uncanny valley, and this is a great outcome, compliments!

paolo

Outstanding.

Wonderful work.

thank you all for your kind comments. paolo, i am very pleased to hear i was able to avoid the uncanny valley :slight_smile:

Brilliant portrait, great character.

If I dare being nitpicky, I feel sth. seems off about the shading on her ear… maybe it might benefit form a tad more spec, though Im not sure. As [<b>tyrant monkey</b>](https://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?31191-tyrant-monkey) & [<b>rjshae</b>](https://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?215898-rjshae)already said, the hair gives her away as CG and imho the shading on the jacket does either, still [<b>sourvinos</b>](https://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?107527-sourvinos) is correct. Plus I find it remarkable how one can tell at first glance, its one of your works before noticing your avatar/nickname.

I think it odd that somehow it being a CG image is considered somewhat of a drawback. Would one feel the same about “guessing” it’s an oil painting or other traditional medium? There seems to be an assumption that if you can tell is been done using CG tools, it’s somehow a failure – not even! Perhaps it’s because of the (puzzling) predilection in the 3D community for so-called “photorealistic” renderings, as if that’s the apex of accomplishment. This image tells a much different and more interesting tale – it transcends the medium, as do all solid works of art. Nitpicking hair strands is tantamount to critiquing individual brush strokes on a painting, perhaps accurate but of what real value given the strength of the image?

Congratulations again, Doris! Your work have strenght. It’s beautiful. I love the fact that your model is an old woman. I’m a bit tired of stereotypes. She is beautiful and (to me) she is looking at her past (left side of the image) more than her future.

Lighting, colors, modeling and shading are superb.

The only thing (for me) would be the brown stains on her skin. Are they too blurred, maybe? Like a gaussian effect on the bitmap. I’m not sure if that’s the way they should be rendered.

But anyway. It’s a great portrait; full of expression and tenderness.

Have a nice day!

it was not my meaning at all, but is a fact than in the 3d approach to ‘realistic’ human figures, the risk exists of getting some unpleasant, disgusting effect, even when everything is done as it should be; i was referring to that.

paolo

I totally agree with this.
The test is not whether the image is photographically accurate and indistinguishable from real life, but whether the image works as a whole , as an artistic image.