YafaRay 3.1.1 Beta for Blender v2.78 released

"Hello,

I would like to announce the release of the new version v3.1.1 beta. I hope you like it!

You can download builds for Linux 32/64bit (this time hopefully without the issues that the v3.0.2 builds had), Windows 32/64 bits and MacOSX 64bits (however the Mac build needs additional tests, as I only can do very limited tests for the Mac builds)

Please if you have any issues with it, let us know in the Bug Tracker and/or Forums.

Feature changes/additions in v3.1.1 respect to v3.0.2

• New per-material Sampling Factor. New parameter to resample background or not.
    These new parameters will not work in the first pass, only in the second and subsequent AA passes.

• New WireFrame material properties as well as a WireFrame render pass, as requested in: http://yafaray.org/node/198

Now, all materials (including Blend material) will have a new Wireframe shading panel. The wireframe can be used in two different ways, depending on whether we want it to be part of the final rendered image or if we want it in a separate Render Pass:
    * Embedded in the Render itself: set a wireframe amount (and optionally map the wireframe amount to a texture). Set the other wireframe options such as color, thickness and softness, and render the scene.
    * Separate Render Pass: make sure the Wireframe amount in the materials is set to 0.0 so the Wireframe does not appear in the Combined Render. Set the rest of the material wireframe options (color, thickness, etc). Enable Render Passes and select Debug-Wireframe pass in one of the passes (preferrably one of the RGBA render passes such as Vector or Color)

Important comments:
     * When using  WireFrame, the material may not be fully energy conserving. However, I  suppose this is not a problem as the wireframe render is not a  photorealistic render in the first place.
     * All Quads and  Polygons will be always seen as Triangles (with the crossed line). This  is, unfortunately, somthing I cannot solve. YafaRay is currently based  on triangle meshes and all Quads and Polygons are first converted to  triangle meshes in the Blender Exporter, before entering YafaRay. So, in  the Wireframe you will always see triangles, never quads, etc.
     * In the Blend material, the Wireframe shading cannot be mapped to a texture

• New Render Passes: Basic Toon effect, Object Edges and Faces Edges. See: http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ … =23&t=5181
    “Wireframe” material options and render pass will be calculated at “material” integration level. It should be more finely detailed but will only show triangles (quads will show the “crossing” line).

"Faces edges" will be a render pass calculated at Film level  showing the edge contours. In this case, quads will be shown more  correctly. However, to calculate the faces edges with the current  architecture I had to use indirect methods that are way less precise, so  some artifacts and missing or incomplete edges are to be expected,  including aliasing in the edges. I've added some parameters that can be  accessed in the Render Passes tab for users to fine tune the edges  generation as much as possible.

"Object edges" will be the  same, but only rendering object edges and contour, more useful for  toon-like renders, for example. Limitations are the same as with the  Faces Edges.

"Toon" render pass: as I already got the above  working, I thought it could be nice to work a bit more and get a full  "toon-like" Render Pass. This render pass will take the original image,  apply some smoothing and color quantization to make the image more  "cartoon-like" and add the Object Edge. The users will be able to choose  the edge color, adjust a bit the thickness and smoothing/quantization.  This will be only a *very basic* toon render pass, don't expect a  perfect contouring, etc!! I didn't even try making an animation yet, I  suppose there will some edges changing from one frame to the next, not  sure if it will be distracting or not...

• Render Badge: ability to select Font ttf file and a font size factor. This will allow better presen
    tation and to select fonts with better Unicode support on demand

New Automatic “absolute/numeric” Object/Material Index render passes, as requested in http://www.yafaray.org/node/745

Bug fixes in v3.1.0:

• IMPORTANT: The v3.1.0 Linux builds that can be downloaded in yafaray.org should now be free from the issues “file too short” that happened in the v3.0.2 builds, as described in http://www.yafaray.org/node/759

• IMPORTANT: Fixed (hopefully) the memory allocation bug in Blend materials described at http://www.yafaray.org/
    node/763 that caused either crashes or incorrect render results

• Glass material: more realistic, corrected total reflection including the reflection color/texture. In some scenes this could change the results of Glass rendering! See http://www.yafaray.org/node/770

• Volumes: fixed issue with white/black areas (negative values, etc) in certain circumstances. See: http://www.yafaray.org/node/766

• Object/Material Absolute Index passes: avoid antialiasing in the edges.
    As requested in http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ … =23&t=5180
    Any “Intermediate” values will be “rounded up” (ceiled). This is one of the many possible criteria to do this, but it gives similar results to Blender Internal, so I will use it.

• Image output denoise: denoise parameters added to the XMLinterface, they didn’t work in the XML interface in v3.0.2

• Fixed colorA_t class initialization inconsistencies. We need to keep an eye on this, could cause changes in the Alpha in some scenes (hopefully not)

• Fix problems when rendering a scene that was not yet saved to a .blend file. Now, if the scene has not yet been saved, the secondary output, preset and logs will be saved to a temporary subfolder in the system temporary directory

• Removed additional ray depth from Blend material UI. This setting is not used at all in the Blend material, because Core just calculates the maximum additional ray depth between the component materials automatically. So, I’m removing this to avoid confusing users."

Thank you Alvaro for the info on this new release.

It seems that I’m go to try it!
Thank you

The wireframe render is working ok but… where from someone initializes the toon pass render? In render passes tab there are some related options but nothing happens whatever change someone applies to them. Some checkbox somewhere, activating the specific render kind?

Select from one of the drop down menus on the right:-

I believe toon render is still experimental, so if there are any issues please post them at yafaray.org

Hello,

I’ve just released v3.1.1-beta that fixes a significant Volumetrics bug introduced in v3.1.0-beta and also fixes a minor problem in the Glass IOR presets.

Explanation and downloads link: http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5184

Álvaro: please will you update the first post you created with the new version and download links, etc?

Thanks and best regards!

Hello again.

Just a comment about the new features. I have to apologize, I’m way behind in terms of providing documentation and example scenes with all the new features in v3.x.x. Sorry for the lack of details about how to use the new features, I will try to get something done over the next few weeks.

Best regards!

Checked the option but still nothing happens… can you put somewhere a very simple scene so that may I download and inspect it?

Hello,

You have to enable render passes, then in one of the available Blender passes such as Vector for example you assign the Basic:Toon YafaRay pass. Render and select in Blender render window the Vector (in this particular example) pass instead of the Combined pass to see the Toon pass.

If you still have problems please let me know and I will prepare an example scene.

Thanks David, now it is ok. : - )

Is there a quick way to add a texture to the materials?

What are advantages of Yafaray over the Cycles?

Thanks

Stated your question, let’s put the matter in these terms:
Y
afaray is to VRay as Cycles is to Octane that pretends to be Arnold.

Good afternoon to all.
I cannot put Yafaray to work in Linux Mint 18 (very new user) with Deb file from Yafaray downloads page.
Blender recognized it as ok when I install from file but as soon as I activate the Addon, Blender closes.
Can you give me a tip?
Thank you

Thanks you for Updates :slight_smile:

MADCello I’m ok on ubuntu & yafaray. You try to install yafaray decompressed folder with drag&drop in blender addon folder.

Thank you peperepe77 but it doesn’t work. If I try to activate, Blender close immediately. :frowning:

If you are using the official Blender download you should report it at yafaray.org. If not, first test with the official Blender version.

My fault. I thought that I was using official Blender. Thank you!

Hi David, any news about new material system? Really can’t waiting :slight_smile: