Sherlock - Benedict Cumberbatch

Guys, currently im sculpting Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock series. I want some feedback. If anyone can point some
point i can improve im will be glad!! Thx for the attention!

I’ll will for sure try to help you, I don’t have the time right now, maybe tonight. but I have to say it is having resemblance already, and almost everything is well placed. Just don’t put details until you are sure it is him (I think you already know that)

Thx Tonatiuh! Yup, i know, lol! But you are right, im gonna work some more to everthing is in place to go to another level!! Thx so much!

Ok, somethings I found not right and some search that I made:

The images you send are so low resolution it was hard for me to see it properly, but I try my best.

From the side view:
1 the neck is always going back a little, and the chest don’t jump to the front like that, is anatomically almost impossible, and in him is not like that either.
2 the bottom lip is flat and more in front. and the upper lip has a small curve and then it goes strait to the middle of the hole of the nose. note the chin.
3 the hole of the nose, has two almost strait lines. The rest of the nose is pretty much strait lines (not completely of coursers)
4 the top of the superciliar arch has to go up in my opinion.
5 the skull seams to me more flat, and the higher point should be in line with the ear.
6 the neck and the skull don’t do that, only in really small children. And you should shorten the back of the head.
7 The line from the nose to the union between the skull and the neck, is not right. check the references, the ear should start in that line. and is has 15º of inclination.
8 the line of the mandibular bone is just a little bit curvy, and from the ear to the angle has to be more inclined.

the front view:
1 the eyebrow and the bone goes up a little.
2 the shape of the nose I see.
3 the ear has to go down a bit.
4 the chin is more curve ant the angle of the mandibula goes a little up from the mouth.
5 that is the shape of the mouth I see, the bottom lip goes lower I think.
6 The wider part of the cranium is like 3 fingers on top of the ear. and the cigomatic process goes almost to the midle of the ear.
7 his cranium is more triangular that the one you made, at least for me.
8 you can see the neck in him from the ear to the shoulders, it goes a little in then straight and then to the trapicius, and yes!! it is looooong like that.
9 the chick bone is upper and it goes in quickly.

And well that’s it from me. Go get him! it has no where to go! hehe.

Thank you so much for the criticises and for your time spent ponting those things!!!:slight_smile:

I hope it helps in some way, I’m just a self-taught “artist” so just take what you think make sense.

You know whats great about this? From the onset, you nailed the mouth, brows, and general nose. Immediately identifiable. Really good. And the advice received is sound. Most of it. I would make two copies of your work at least. The base copy and then the experimental tweaking copy.

Thanks FXR! i did it! The advices were great, improve a lot the likeness of the model! Thanks for both of you.

Hey! you have to let us see!!! (you don’t have to, but I am curious!)

Heh, Tonatiuh, Really good breakdown of the head topography. On par with Doris.

Not at all, Doris has a lot more experiences, and known-how among other things!!

Doris has the depth of experience to add the “why” things are done and why they work. But from good artistic worksmanship, you laid out a quick blueprint of the shortfalls and how to correct. It was very Doris like

Well! Thank you! that is a very nice compliment hehe! By the way how is going with your Viggo?

Man, that’s funny, as I was just tweaking Viggo. I work on other stuff and then come back to Viggo. I think I got him nailed, but then stepping back to get artistic distance, naah. All in all though, a good study. However, since you asked … what’s your artistic background?

You’ve obviously got the experience to be able look at a work very comprehensively, from many angles. And the knowledge to know where to shift stuff to, to achieve a desired look. That’s not novice stuff

Well… I never study properly… In 2001 I decide to learn how to draw, so I start studying proportions (Andrew Loomis and Burne Hogarth) and drawing, just by my own. I am only interested in draw/sculpt humans, as my work is related to anatomy I have a very good anatomy knowledge, And I use a lot youtube, and the Zbrush tutorials, I only see what I thing are professional videos, so many of the blender training don’t apply. I only use blender, but you can see zbrush tutorials perfectly. So many years trying to figure out… not there yet, I need some proper trying. I started with blender like a year ago or more for like two months and then I stop and come back like a few months ago.
Now I’m going to start a course on human anatomy for sculpting, and realistic character creations, with Rafa Souza. I’ll be posting everything I make in the forum so maybe it help someone. It is a zbrush course, but I’m going to do it with blender.

sometimes the best training. But formal study helps a ton. thanks for the feedback