Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong please.

I’m too embarrassed to tell you how long I’ve been struggling to model this, so I was somewhat disappointed when I imported this model.obj into another model. The two I intend to splice together (for the umpteen time I might add) .

The first screen grab shows the model in object mode.

The second in edit mode; as can be seen I have a few sharp edges selected.

The third shows what happened when I imported the .obj file of my model into the target model. Gutted a proliferation of sharp edges which I donot want. I will get rid of them eventually, but I would be very grateful if anybody knows why suddenly all these sharp edges have appeared, during the export of an .obj file.

I’m too embarrassed to tell you how long I’ve been struggling to model this, so I was somewhat disappointed when I imported this model.obj into another model. The two I intend to splice together (for the umpteen time I might add) .

The first screen grab shows the model in object mode.

The second in edit mode; as can be seen I have a few sharp edges selected.

The third shows what happened when I imported the .obj file of my model into the target model. Gutted a proliferation of sharp edges which I donot want. I will get rid of them eventually, but I would be very grateful if anybody knows why suddenly all these sharp edges have appeared, during the export of an .obj file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454250[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]454251[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]454252[/ATTACH]

If you had Auto Smooth enabled (image 3) and had ‘Write Normals’ enabled in the obj export settings you will be saving those hard edges

https://gyazo.com/e2620d69858e8be3f378a6f133864004
its because the edges highlighted in red has a sharp smoothing group to it. you can select all of them by CTRL ALT clicking one of them (in edge select mode!) then CTRL + E followed by H (or clear sharp)

Thank you very much Richard and finalbarrage. I’ve cleared those that I don’t want and will now check out the normal settings I thought I had it switched off on export. Auto smooth ! ah will check that out as well .

Cheers. :slight_smile:

Yup you were both right, I corrected it and did a quick 1min render and although still needs getting at problem thanks to you solved.

Attachments