A Rainy Day

Hey!

This project originally started out as a wip project with ballons and stuff, but I got a new idea for the story and basically changed everything except the character. I got inspired on a 21 hour long bus trip from Hungary to Denmark and drew a quick sketch on the bus. After I came home I couldn’t stop thinking about the idea and decided to build and render it.

The background is obviously just an image and I spent quite some time on adjusting the position and scale of it to make the perspective look right - What do you think?

Furthermore, I also added the rain effect (not the droplets on the objects) in photoshop. I wanted it to be subtle, but realistic looking and I am not quite sure about the last thing. Do you have any ideas on how to improve the effect?

HQ: http://i.cubeupload.com/BNy4V3.jpg

Thank you!

Attachments

I really love this. Nice job! I like how the rain is as is already. Only comment I would have is scale. The scale is quite off. Maybe that’s what you are going for I don’t know.

Thank you for the comment and the kind words.
Yea, the scale is not right at all and I was aware of this while building the scene.
Initially, I wanted to stay true to the real world scale and find tiny real life objects that could look like the umbrella, the table and the mug, but I couldn’t come up with anything. So I decided to build the items for the character in another scale than the environment.

Update:

Fixed the boring reflections in the puddles and darkened the bricks a bit.

Wow, love your Image. The only Thing I can critique is, that the “feet” óf the Caracter seem to float above the Ground.
But aside from that, this is really good!

Cool, I like the improvements.
Here’s my critiques list :

• Amazon, Eww !
  • The cardboard is so bright I thought it was a metallic robot when seeing the thumbnail. I know you want the viewer to focus on it but I would make its lighting fit a bit more in the environment.
  • I know you’re not aiming at complete realism so take this as you want, but the city is blurred while the stars are sharp, which is not possible in reality. Plus the rain should add some environment fog. Even if you don’t completely hide the stars (which should happen under the rain), have you tried adding a bit of fog ? Plus that would help focus more on the cardboard guy to compensate if you darken him.
  • The edges of the cardboard (the thick borders on his “skirt”) threw me out of the impression that I was looking at cardboard. In your case, the edges we see are parallel to the waves, so they should be hollow :

• The umbrella handle going through his hand also threw me out. I see you modeled folds on his hand, why not use them to hold the umbrella ?

That’s all. Your rain drops are really cool, how did you do them ?

Fantastic Job… Romantic too :slight_smile:

Thanks Nicolas, Caetano and Beth! Glad you all like it.

@Caetano: Really helpful feedback. Sometimes when you have worked on a project for a long time you tend to overlook - sometimes -obvious mistakes. Or I do at least. I fixed most of the problems and did a quick render - mainly the problems with the mesh. I changed the roughness of the cardboard material as well, but it did not have a huge impact on the render, so I might have to increase it even more.
I tried blurring the stars, but… Well… I just really like them as they are I guess. I did add a bit of fog as you mentioned.

The rain drops are made with multiple particle systems. For instance I used a particle system with low poly models for the small drops. I used both the weight paint tool and an image textures to control the position of the drops.