An Edge is Assaulting me, halp!

Holy eff am I a scrub to Blender or something?

I’m trying to model something, and for some reason whenever I pull the vertex (that is selected by default in the file) downwards, there is an edge that creates itself for no reason. I created that object from start to finish with the mirror modifier active, and for some reason this only happens on the one side.
Can anybody fix this issue and explain to me what happened exactly?

Thanks a ton! After six months of Blendering you’d think this kind of a thing would be second nature by now…

Attachments

SnowballMic.blend (582 KB)

1. This thread belongs in Support/Modeling.

2. The title is misleading as an edge is not physically attacking you through your screen. I don’t understand what you mean by assault.

3. Your problem is the result of your faces having more than four sides. Using nonquads will create issues with topology, so it is best to avoid it.

You have an n-gon that has one set of edges that are non-planar. N-gons (polys with more than 4 sides) are fine to model with in the correct areas and usages. Even a set of quads would do this in this situation. Either add another edge between the two points and adjust accordingly or (and this limits editability), triagulate the offending polygons (not needed here).SnowballMic_2.blend (970 KB)