Splash Screen Contest 2.37 discussion thread

Post your questions, thoughts, or… whatever regarding to the splash screen contest here.

update 3.5: this is last week for your submissions.
we are nearing for release, and developers are going to need the splash.
so use the rest of the week well! thank you.

here is the official annoucement, and thread to submit your works.

the contest is on!

.b

Fantastic! I was wondering when it would come. I just hope I can find enough spare time to cook up an entry.

Woohoo! I’m in!

-Obiwan

good splashes show new features on the release.

New features? I expect to see some softbody work in the splash;) No, I demand it! 8)

do people want to use a splash screen gallery?

(like i did for 2.35?)

http://splash.mudpuddle.co.nz/

i just thought it might be nice to have all the splash screens created archived.

:smiley:

you should all be able to upload your images into the 2.37 album if you like.

Alltaken

good splashes show new features on the release

What are the new features? And how can I show them when I don’t have the new release yet?

:slight_smile: you can always grab a cvs development binary from blender.org test build forum, and try it out… a list of new features is there too.

but don’t worry about it… just make a awesome picture… :slight_smile:

.b

use the testing builds.

theyre very nice…

:smiley:

EDIT: holy crap! why is my post count so high…

this should be a criteria for the splash screen thumbnails - no larger then 100KB! each image shouldn’t be more than 100KB and prefereably not more then 50KB - i know that this can cause artifacts with jpg and often pngs aren’t eligible but i think we all realize that the 100% version can be had if the 75% version is good enough - i’ve been on both sides of the pipe - 56K hate those huge images and dsl folks don’t care - just try to make thumbnails or something - please! :wink:

if people choose to upload to my splash gallery, the system will create a thumbnail automatically.

Alltaken

A couple questions. Should the image be a PNG format as is the template? And is it allowable to mess around with the version numbers as it was in the last contest and as in the current splash?

file format is not that important. PNG is optimal ofcourse since it keeps the quality good. but jpeg is the most common… I would say, as long as we can read it :slight_smile:

(template is PNG because of the transparency it has.)

what do you mean mess around with numbers?

.b

what do you mean mess around with numbers?

Well, in the current version the top of the carrot goes up and over the text. In the last contest someone even said it was ok to play with the background color.

Another question in the last contest was the size of the template. 501 x 271? There was mention of a conversion difficulty with the adobe image format. I assume we just go with posted dimensions but I’d like to render to the exact dimensions so that any resize is avoided.

Great splash, Marty_D :slight_smile:

thanks. These things are kind of fun. I just hope it’s ok to alter the logo area.

how many are we allowed to enter?

Alltaken: I started to uplode mine.

To all others: Do it you to!

I would have preferred a .PSD file but…

:stuck_out_tongue:

psd file of template?
it’s uploaded, check the announcement post.

marty_d: the overlapping the header is ok… the fading effect… not sure yet. to be on the safe side, make a version with full white bar too.

.b

Oh sorry man. I missed the .PSD. I just saw the .PNG first so I downloaded that. Oh well, I don’t think it will make a big difference anyway. I don’t even know if I am going to enter this time. I’ll have to see if I have anything good to use. What are the image dimensions again? I forgot from last time. Is it 500 x 200?