Viewport playback performance bad even in simple scenes

Hi,

I have a strange problem on my computer at home.
For testing I remeshed the cube, fractured it in 50 pieces and added a smoke modifier to all pieces.
No smoke domain and the modifier is on “None”.

Pressing ALT+A and I get about 15FPS in solid view mode.

Same test on my PC at work is okay. Even with smoke enabled without baking it runs at 30FPS.

Both computers have an Intel i7 4790k. At home i have an AMD R9-290 and at work a simple Geforce 740. No GPU stuff enabled in Blender.

I tested all settings and disabled everything in the viewport. The frames do not alter much.

I could see that the AMD GPU clock goes up when the “animation” runs. Drivers are the latest 16.9.2

Anyone has ever seen that behaviour or any idea what could cause this?

Update:

I found out that it has to do with OpenGL VBO.
Testing with version 2.76 and disabling VBO and got the same speed as my PC at work with version 2.77 and 2.78.
All systems are on Windows 10 1607 x64.

Are there known problems with AMD cards and/or drivers that generate high load on the card even in simple scenes if VBOs are enabled?

No one else has this problems? Working with cell fracture or other functions that generate many objects is impossible that way.

Tried another thing. A small ocean simulation at 10 resolution, even baked, it goes down to under 5 fps in the viewport.

So my PC is the only one in the world experiencing this problems? Updates AMD Drivers to version 16.10.1, but no improvements.

Now I reinstalled Windows and also disabled the AMD card so I could test only with Intel HD graphics, but same result.

Viewport is crawling on my PC with just a simple smoke and physics simulation, and is totally normal on a very similar computer.

with teh simulations, have you baked the fracturing out to keyframes or is it simulating everytime? is it a CPU limitation ratehr then a gpu limitation?