How realistic can BGE physics be?

Lets say 100% is real world physics.
Also calculations limited to under a day or two to produce.

Im trying to get a simple answer to a argument.
A pc sim. can not achieve real world, not even 80%

Im working on a conveyor sim. BTW:cool:

Thanks

I think BGE (and most game engines) only have very simple physics, mainly because it has to be realtime.
Doing complex stuff will either require you to code your own physics/rules, or ‘fake’ physics through clever tricks and techniques. (if you want to maintain a decent frame rate).

Well if a PC sim can’t get close to 80% + BGE/normal game engines only have a simple implementation. I doubt it will be above 50% accuracy. Very fast moving objects will almost always cause glitches regardless of the engine.

Thanks Thatimster

I’ve been playing around with physics, both in blender and in my own (very limited) simulations… and it’s hard to get it right. Blender, for instance, can handle a collision between 2 objects pretty well, but when there’s a third object squashed in the middle, the software goes haywire. There’s just so much force going on in so little time, that you should go to thousands of calculations per second instead of 60.

I programmed a yoyo once, that had the same problem. While the rope is rolling on or off, it’s easy to calculate in quite big steps. At the top, where the rotation changes direction, it’s a piece of cake. But at the bottom, there’s a sudden flurry of force, stretch and damping, that just begs for the dirty approach.

Just remember to document it in the code: “### Warning: Dirty hack ahead. Do not try to understand of maintain. ###”

I’ve mused on similar topics with friends and colleagues in the past. The conclusion was nearly always the same:

Unless the physical simulation is a part of the gameplay; fake it.

For the most part you’ll only have 16ms to do any given calculation, unless you thread it, but most people don’t have the expertise for that.

Fiddling with advanced physics in most(all?) engines is mostly a matter of mathematics - in my experience at least at or above college level. But this is not always the case.

Question time! : P

You’re working on a conveyor belt sim, what part of it do you need to be physically accurate? The whole thing? Or a few aspects of it?

I don’t know your workflow, but for me it usually helps to clearly state my goals. Helps me stay focused and move forward.

PS: Glad to see someone else pushing the boundaries for physics in the BGE :slight_smile:

Well all 100% accurate would be nice , but we all know thats not possible.
I guess I’d like timing right ,

Example: drop item on 381mm long conveyor belt from 6 in, move from A to B in giving time fpm , then onto next 1539mm long belt C to D , then last onto 1920mm E to F and drop.

AB = Special speed
CD = Special speed
EF = Special speed
Controled item drops by mouse or timed
Belt doesn’t have to go around just A to B at a given friction.
Item with weight and a given friction and speed.

I’ll send blend if needed.

here ya be

this is a conveyor belt that fakes physics :smiley:

Attachments

RazorsSpiralFakeGrav.blend (623 KB)

Yes this blend file I based mine on.
And to whom made it thanks i learned from it.

Here’s mine without the conveyor models.

Attachments

GGConveyor101.blend (293 KB)

I made it :smiley:

Be able to control the timing would be great in Game engine if its possible? :eyebrowlift:

see the property speed in the object Package? in the hidden layer?

you could use messages to set this*

or collisions or???

for the spirals, it parents to the rotating part, and moves up using the property
‘Rate’ in the rotating parts,

logic in the rotating bit rotates it.

it uses collisions with object to get off belts and on others,