Problem with cloth tentacles

I’m making an animation that takes place in an ocean and am coming up against many challenges. The most interesting/frustrating one is with the lappets(tentacles) of the jellyfish which, after finding other methods don’t suit the movement, I’ve eventually made of cloth in the physics engine. This rather weird problem has appeared:

When the only layer I have selected contains just the lappets and the bell of the jellyfish, all works fine. However, when I also have the layer with the jellyfish arms selected, the lappets go wrong! They kind of crush against themselves in some places. I’ll add a couple of screenshots.

The screenshot where the lappets hang smoothly was taken when I ran the animation with just the layer with the bell and the lappets. The screenshot where the lappets scrunch up was taken at the same key-frame, when I ran the animation with the layer containing the arms and the tissues of the jellyfish, also selected.

It’s not all the lappets that go wrong; just some of them. They have the same physics settings, same number of vertices around the circumference of the lappet (just 4), and the vertices are spaced in a similar, logical way. There are no double vertices and each lappet is shade smoothed.

Once it’s gone wrong, I have to close and reopen the blend file (to empty the cache); and then it works again, as long as just the layer containing the lappets and bell, is selected.

Does anyone know why this might be and how to stop this error from happening? (I’m hoping I won’t have to render the parts separately).

Attachments

Sounds and looks like an issue caused by Cloth Collision. Hard to say exactly without seeing the file & how collision is assigned, though .Also, if you are not baking the cloth motion, but just running it through in the playback, it can sometimes go glitchy, baking is more reliable.

Thanks Chipmasque. I’ll look into that.

Baking it did the trick :slight_smile: Thank you Chipmasque. Here’s a screenshot alongside a render at frame 75. I’ve just got to work on the ocean and improve the movement of the arms next…

Looking good. Is that a medusa? I don’t know invertebrates worth a damn lol.

Thanks Chipmasque.
I’ve tried researching jellyfish and found the info a bit confusing… I think all jellyfish are medusazoa but not sure about that. I think I seem to have modelled a Chrysaora quinquecirrha, commonly referred to as the Atlantic, or East Coast, Sea Nettle.