How come it suddenly go slower?

So this is one of four lands I’ve made (and part 1 of a 3 part island). Now the three lands till now where about 725 - 1250 verts. Each with a land texture and a bump map. And the first two lands each rendered in about a few seconds each. Per picture. The later one was about a good 10 - 15 seconds.

With each land I move it to a different layer, so it’s out of the way. This island though. Is small, simplistic, and nowhere near the more intensive of lands I made, the second to last required 3 additional planes, and a second texture added to it.

Yet the image above is 5 mins in. With me moving to GPU Compute, lower resolution, and lower compression of the PNG file. And it’s taking forever. It’s actually right now as of this picture gone up 14%. (7 to 21%). So what do I do to make it as fast as the previous ones? And does simply moving a pic to a different layer so that it’s not in the scene effect render times?

After this and one more question at a later time for the camera. I’ll finally be ready to show what I’ve made in Blender in the WIP section.