Modelling a (really!) photorealistic rope by using Hair only - how to ?

hi all,

i recently got several nervous breakdowns while trying to model a really realistic looking rope. I found a lot of tutorials on youtube, be they all simply did hit the point (Textures plus hair or prodedural shaders …).

So, i decided to model a rope a it is: A three step bundle set of hairs. The First step is a simple cord, twisted from approx. 1000 single hairs. This first level cord is then taken into a second step bundle of say 100 to 200 cords.
The third and last step is to take three or four of these bundles and twist them again. Please see this reference image form wikipedia:

That’s the real life way. But i simply don’t get it in Blender. I either fail by not managing to twist and bundle a set of hairs, or i fail to let hair grow along a twisted path, and then twist the result again. I also tried the screw modifier on circular array copy of curves, but the result got over 100 million polygons and crashed blender awhole.

I thinkthe only way to achieve really photorealistic ropes is to use bundles hairs (not only frizzle hairs on top of a texture or procedural texture). I know that the model might get heavy on hair and polygon load, bu think its worth it.

I really need some help with this, because for my current project i need a rope in the main focus.

So, what do you think? any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

100 mil? Nice work. You should stick to particles / instancing, avoid array. Demo of the difference, leave annotated.

Hi LoboTommy,
thank you for the Group Instance Tip - but i think it will not work, since Group Instances are static. One you create a single cord with its internal twist and build the second step bundle out of group instances of the single cord, in can not be twisted to achieve the step two twist, and also not the step three twist.

Is there something i missed?

Some advice would be nice.

did you try with screw modifier array and curve modifier ?

but this will end up high res !

happy cl

first you need to create the universe :wink:

You could try using this addon, amongst using some other methods (Texture mapping/ particle emitter for small fibres on each twisted strand of the rope)

Not sure what version it works with, so you may need to use a previous version of blender to use the add-on, export your base rope mesh and then finish editing in a more current build :slight_smile:

Oscurart Rope Maker - https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?226453-Addon-Oscurart-Rope-Maker

What difference, this video only shows a curve?

Here’s a part of the rope from this amazing Tiger Tank model. https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?278871-Tiger-Tank
He used a curve and added a screw mod to the mesh, ps if you move the screw above the subd the result is better

Attachments

Twisted rope.blend (183 KB)

It shows a performance difference.

but i only see a array and no instance example?

At around 30 seconds he changes layers, observe the apparent viewport geometry vs the vert / tri / face counts at top right.

Test for your self vert / face / group / frame duplication vs array mod if you still doubt.

but how did he instance it while its still a curve? I dont see a particle mod on it?

EDIT
i got it, i see how he did