Rounding corners on uneven object

Hello Everyone!

This is my first project in Blender, so please bear with me. Needless to say how overwhelmed I am by the complexity of the software, but nonetheless after watching and following a few of the online tutorials I started my own project. Took me 2 hours to make this simple object (probably 5 minutes job for the guru :slight_smile: ) .

Here is where I am stuck:
I need to make 4 even round corners around it. Bevel works properly only for the top corners as you can see in the picture. At the bottom, when it hits a first available edge by Z, it stops short.
Then I tried to round one bottom corner manually using X mirror and proportional (to make it symmetrical). It did not work either (although the object should be symmetrical by X).

I bet there are dozens of other solutions I am not aware about.

Appreciate a response

You have divisions close to the bottom edge that are limiting the bevel operation, so bevel is working properly with both top and bottom corners. Your complex shape will probably have to start with these bevels first and then the rest of the geometry modeled after, or using a sub division surface, you can model rounds and bevels with less geometry.

Thank you ajm!

Funny thing is, that I have started exactly that way. I have stretched the cube, beveled corners, but for some reason had a hard time to shape a front surface. So I went easy way: dumped the cube, shaped a profile made with a “plane” and then extruded it to entire width by X… So I guess I need to get back to cube and try again.

It’s polygonal modeling and the structure is important, so not that easy to make as it first seems. Also because it’s polygonal modeling, we don’t need to be dimensionally absolutely accurate because the whole modeling paradigm is inherently inaccurate. If it looks good and the structure doesn’t cause issues, it’s good.

As mentioned, if you use bevel, the corners need space for it to work

This might not be the way to do it or might need further editing because of the n-gons (faces with more than 4 vertices/edges/sides). Lower ones are on a curved surface so that causes a bit of shading issues, which can be muted by lowering the angle between polygons.

Could also do it with subdivision surfaces

But the form gets a lot of geometry considering its surface only has a handful of points that are curved.

Those are quick examples but could also build a proper structure for the requirements, which come from the end use and the work stages before that.

Since you’re new, I recommend watching these https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0AfIdK08E7_PKsXOO_yuAql9b3hdcwPR
and also to check the tutorial linked in my signature about posting support questions here.

So I am back to the cube with rounded corners. That brings me to the next question. Since I already have front shaped on a plane, is there a way to shape a cube face based on a plane profile shape.
Here is on a picture I now have 2 objects aligned by Z and Y. I want to shape the front of the “cube” in one step based on a “plane” front.

I have read that I need to use a Knife Project. But how to make a selection of the cut-out area?

Thanks

Oh my! JA12, that is awesome. I am going to play your videos in slow-motion. There is a lot to learn from. And I’ll check those basics videos and posting guidelines you recommend. Thank you!

PS. Now that I have already posted couple of replies (before I saw your post) and they are all hidden (moderated), there might be some logical inconsistency in this thread flow after they are approved.

JA12 will give you better tips than I will, since I’m limited by time as an old man chasing a baby around the house :wink: (don’t know what I was thinking), but you may have been able to model both at the same time. Started with one cube and used the knife tool to cut profiles for both at the same time and filled polygons where needed, or using a boolean modifier to cut one shape from the other, or duplicate the faces from the one you have made flip the normals and extrude the edges out to form the rest of the shape, there are really many paths to take, but the path you take depends on the end result you wish to achieve and how fast you want to get there. A good idea is to study JA12’s vids as well as many others, from any application really, and apply/translate those skills over to Blender. There is a lot of good stuff out there for you to learn from.

Thank you, thank you guys! You were very helpful with your tips and guidelines. After a day of struggle (well, it was actually quite educational) and starting a few times from a scratch, I finally made it the way I wanted. :slight_smile:

This supposed to be a front panel of a bluray player. I need to model this player for another program I use. So for now test-converted a panel to .obj, “materialized” and rendered in my program… Now back to blender to cut holes, make buttons… etc. Oh boy!

Meh. Those are pretty good tips.

Would just add that looking at the image, if you (EvolveX) do use boolean, should do couple of things. The darker object probably has inverted normals (vertex/face directions) so might want to make those consistent and pointing out. Also geometry that is exactly on top of each other is not a good thing, like the top and probably bottom sides, better to have them clearly intersect when using boolean.

Object mode, ctrl+A -> scale, then edit mode, select all, W -> remove doubles, ctrl+N, in that order.

The order is important because if the object scale is unapplied, removing doubles will use different merge distance than what you’d expect from looking at the mesh in the viewport, and if the object scale is negative, making normals consistent and pointing out (ctrl+N) won’t seem to do anything. The latter might also fail if there are mesh errors. Also removing double geometry after taking care of normals might merge geometry that had opposing directions, so you might end up with inverted normals even though you just used a tool that makes them consistent.

Dog trap with a toy as a bait might work. But yea, I don’t spend much time on posting on the forum either (anymore) because helping someone means spending 99% of the time begging for usable and workable information, or to try and make an educated guess, not actually helping. It’s like trying to eat a steak by sucking it through a straw. I did do a tutorial on how to serve food so we could use cutlery but that wasn’t a great way to make a culinary change.

I usually only answer if I can do so quickly, if I can use Blender (cutlery) to do that, and if I can reply without starting with a question. That means ignoring almost every thread on the forum most of the time.

lol JA12, I’ve learned the hard way almost about everything you mentioned above. I was pulling my hair this weekend (or whatever is left there :slight_smile: ). Google search every 5 minutes.
Inverted normals - and I was wondering why the heck my first object came out one sided when I export it to .obj.
Nice tip about the order for clean-up. I was doing the same, but not in the order and messed up good the project a few times and then started over.

Thank you guys again for the help!

So the final version - better curves smoothing…

I would like someone to inspect a .blend file I modeled so far. Mostly interested in mesh geometry validation. Although it looks good in Blender and after I exported into .obj, still not sure if I am doing it right way. Any pointers for optimization appreciated. lol I just noted I spelled bluray wrong in the file name.

blueray12.blend (834 KB)

Not all objects have the scale of 1,1,1 (door) so should select and apply scale (ctrl+A -> scale).

Objects “front panel” and “usb” are non-manifold, meaning the meshes have errors. Front panel object has holes, and usb is just a mess with holes, interior faces, and also overlapping geometry which isn’t a mesh error but can become a problem. I get that you don’t care since most of that isn’t seen, but it’s not valid geometry.

The way you can check mesh errors is by selecting non-manifold in edit mode. Select none, then either from select menu -> select by trait -> non-manifold, or ctrl+alt+shift+M and if something gets selected, those are areas that need attention. Might not need fixing if it’s an open edge for a reason (edges connected to just one face).

Otherwise not too bad as far as mesh validity goes. Didn’t spot concave polygons which can be a problem and non-manifold check doesn’t recognize. What can be a problem is to use as little edges as possible and using n-gons (faces with more than 4 sides) instead.

The mesh is not better when it has as little edges as possible, nor is it better when it has as little polygons as possible, nor when rounded surfaces are defined with a lot of geometry. The mesh is good when the structure fulfils its requirements and optimal when most/all elements in it have a reason being where they are.

But why are n-gons a problem? For one editing a mesh with n-gons here and there means stabbing it with a knife tool until someone or something bleeds to death. Selections become harder, eventually can’t even read the structure anymore and it’s a mess. They’re not always a problem, relatively safe when they’re on a flat surface (planar) and convex.

Still not out the woods with n-gons. Those can distort when UV unwrapping. The mesh had seams and it was unwrapped, lots of distortion. Knowing that the unwrap method can be changed the resulting UV map made more sense. The back face which is an n-gon unwrapped nicely but there is one at the front that won’t co-operate

Even if you don’t have to care about a nice edge and face flow that much, it’s still better to make sense of the structure.

There are many flat areas so the faces on those could be whatever as long they’re convex but I started with a plane and cut quad sections to where each of the indentations/holes are. That allows to isolate each of them, making sure the surrounding geometry keeps convex polygons even with the rounded corners, and most importantly the curved surfaces consist of quads. I could also easily select any of the areas and for example remove one of the three indentations on the right.

The mesh now has triangles, quads and an n-gon. Marking seams and unwrapping worked on the first try. The UV’s for the middle indentation is not perfect but workable, and it’s not skewed because of the n-gon but because I didn’t add seams and give it room to unwrap any better, easy to fix.

Sure the mesh could clearly have less polygons but I don’t know a reason to remove them. I do know 4 reasons for keeping this structure instead of reducing it to as little polygons as possible, including that in its current state I can easily reduce geometry if I get a reason for it.

Thank you very much JA12 for thorough investigation of my model. That helps a lot and I need to digest all that, get back and start fixing. I especially like the was you laid out indentations. I initially tried to be consistent and create something similar, but then it went sour and I ended up with what I ended up with. Thank you again for all the help!

There is a lot to digest so don’t get frustrated. It’s normal if something doesn’t make sense. It’s also normal if the modeling techniques you learn from this don’t apply to the next model.

One usually learns these things in order: getting to know the tools, then come up with a workflow to get a form and a structure using those tools, then find out about the requirements next stages or the end use might have for the structure.

With experience you start modeling backwards: you first want to know the requirements and the forms which will directly affect the structure, which in turn limits the workflows you can use and piece together, and then you begin modeling and using the tools. Or if there are holes in your process plan that the workflows don’t cover, you might start by experimenting with specific detail of the modeling process before you begin. That’s the “smelling the problems from further away” part of what experience gives.

The workflows you learn will always be in a constant change because your knowledge changes, modeling requirements might change, and the tools definitely change. That’s also normal. It’s how we’re able to keep up with Blender that gets a new version every 3 months. A change in tools won’t make you even lift an eyebrow unless it’s really something special. It also means you don’t need to learn every tool to model.

Here’s one technique that might help, called retopology. It’s about building a different structure for the existing form

I made an object that is only used as a helper to get the front panel forms. Then I made another one that is going to be the actual front panel with rounded corners and cuts, but those are on a flat plane and get projected on the helper object with shrinkwrap modifier. The model could have a rounded cutout on a rounded surface and you would still be able to model the structure on a flat plane.

blueray_ja12.blend (140 KB)

OK JA12, I am a little confused (or maybe not) about retopology process in current context. But lets see.

FRONT_PANEL is my original messed up object. Now you made a helper front_panel_profile (based on original profile shape by Y). Then you made another one - front_panel (which would become the actual front panel object at the end) and shrinkwraped it around front_panel_profile.

If I go now to edit mode - it becomes flat (this is a great idea!). I work with it: cut new holes… etc. When satisfied - apply shrinkwrap modifier. Then extrude by Y, cut the back flat, work on holes shape, bevel X edges… etc. Finally get rid of original and helper. Hope I understood the idea correctly.

(Somehow I miss my quarter century back attributes - drawing board, whatman’s paper, drafting compass and a pencil)

Yes, pretty much, except there wouldn’t be an original object when starting to model. I included it just for visual.

The overall form of the front panel is quite simple and easy to make, so could start by making one and use that as a helper to build another structure on top. That way you can concentrate on the much more complex structure and not be too concerned about how you achieve the correct form because that is already taken care of.

Here’s another example

The overall form is again simple and easy to make. By conforming the new structure on that I can build a structure for an X shaped hole and not care so much about keeping the curved form.

Even if the helper form was more complex, it’s easier to make when you don’t have to care about the structure. Could for example use boolean operations to make one and then build a proper structure on top.

OK, Excellent, I got the idea! Thank you for the help again!

Thanks again everyone for the help. So here is a final render (skinned and rendered in iClone).