Simple Renaming Panel

EDIT: Simple Renaming Panel for Blender 2.80

OLD:

Hi,
Simple Renaming Panel v1.2 is out! A simple and fast renaming tool for blender. And the best. It’s for free.

Download

Release Notes

[1.2.0]
· [NEW] Renaming works now in different modes: object, material, image texture, group, data and bone
· [NEW] Change the tool shelf category of the add-on in the preferences
· [NEW] A added match case checkbox has been added to search and replace
· [NEW] A simple and well organized information panel lists which objects have been renamed and includes some additional information
· [NEW] Not only suffixes, but also prefixes can be added by object type
· [CHANGED] Suffix by type has been renamed to type suffix and prefix panel and is now part of the main panel
· [NEW] Surfaces, cameras, lights and bones have been added to the type suffix and prefix panel
· [UPDATED] Auto updater 1.0.3
· [FIX] A lot of minor bugs have been fixed
[1.0.1]
· [New] The posibility to give the objects a new name has been added

Simple Renaming Panel is a small, but really powerful tool to rename more objects at once. The tool includes basic functionalities of adding suffixes, prefixes, search and replace, add suffixes depending on the object type and much more. You decide which kind of objects will be effected by the renaming task, all or just selected objects, should it affect image textures, materials, objects, object data, bones or groups. This tool can be a real everyday helper as renaming multiple objects is needed very often and keeping the naming conventions can be tedious. The tool provides you with a clear feedback of what has been renamed. This tool is kept simple to be user friendly but offers everything you need to stay organized.
Key Feature:

• Works for objects, materials, groups, image textures, object data, bones
  • Choose if all or just selected objects should be effected
  • Search and replace
  • Match case option for search and replace
  • Add suffixes and prefixes
  • Numerate
  • Trim names
  • Rename object data after object name
  • Add suffixes or prefixes by specific object types
  • Simple and clean UI
  • Customizable UI position
  • Auto updater

Please wite me what you think! Any critics and comments are welcome.

cheers,

Attachments

25 Likes

I hoped you publish this addon last year, so I wouldn’t have to bang my head against walls to write my own.

Auto update save some headaches.

Version 1.2 has a lot of cool new features. Check them out.

Hey Weisl your Gumroad link is bad (/edit at the end). Redirects to login or “page not found” (if logged in).

-LP

Thank you for telling me! That was a really stupid mistake.

@Weisl, could you tell me the difference between your addon and addon name panel made by proxe? Now I use name panel but maybe your addon has something new or better and then I could use both or switch to yours

@midan I haven’t taken a closer look to the name panel before. But my first impression is that, both add-ons offer similar functionalities. It seems to me, that the name panel is a bit more advanced. in its features. You can specify more detailed, which kind objects you want to rename, in which context and you have more different object types to choose from.

My addon at the other hand is made to be simple. I hope that I managed to make the add-on so, that when you open the addon the first time you are immediately knowing what you are doing. Simply specify a new name, press the button and it is done. Simple and fast.

One feature that my addon offers, in contrast to the name panel, is the type suffix prefix panel (at least I didn’t see it). This feature allows you fast and easy to add suffixes, prefixes to all objects by type. How useful that is, highly depends on your personal workflow.
For the name panel it took me some time to find out how it works. Maybe you can compare them with simplicity vs. more features. But that is my opinion and as the developer of one of them I don’t think I can be objective.

I hope that was somehow useful?!

Pretty much the only time I need to re-name a bunch of things is when I have multiple objects sharing the same data. I want to name the data-block, and all the objects the same. The standard Blender .xxx nomenclature is fine.
How would I do that with this tool?
Bonus points, give this functionality the (ALT-N) shortcut, and pop up a little dialog so I can hit the shortcut, type in the new name, hit enter, and be done!

I hope I got you right. To do what you say, I would select one of the objects. Press Shift+L and select “Object Data”. All objects with the data are selected. Now you can enter a new name in the “Renaming Mode” Object (first row), switch to Renaming Mode “Data”, control if “Only of Selected Objects” is cheked and press “Replace Names” again. That should do what you want.

About the functionality with (ALT-N) I will think about for the next release.

cheers,

Will there be support 2.8 ?

1 Like

My plan is to port it. I don’t think this is gonna happen before februrary. I have done a first test: You can donwload it from following link. Some features are missing:

2 Likes

Many thanks! Happy New Year!

??

If you unzip it and install the “simple_renaming_panel.py” directly, it should work.

I will try to make it work from the zip again. But for now simply install the script file directly.

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: I fixed this issue and updated the release zip. It can now be installed diractly from the zip without unziping it and installing the *.py file. Thanks for the report.

1 Like

Thanks, Weisl! :slight_smile:

Hi Weisl,
I just tested your addon for the first time under Blender 2.8 because I had a name problem on a lot of the object, impeccable, thank you

Good to hear :slight_smile: The next weeks I should have some time to improve the UI for 2.8. No promises :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
I have updated the addon for blender 2.8. You can download it from Github or Gumroad. The versions for Blender 2.79 are also available for download on both platforms.

Key Feature:

• [NEW] Support for light probes and speaker objects
  • [NEW] Option to specify object type when renaming objects
  • [NEW] Support for blender 2.80 specifc object types (e.g., lightprops, greace pencil)
  • [NEW] It is possible to rename selected bones (Thanks to Cube Creative)
  • Works for objects, materials, collections, image textures, object data and bones
  • Choose if all or just selected objects should be effected
  • Search and replace
  • Match case option for search and replace
  • Add suffixes and prefixes
  • Numerate
  • Trim names
  • Rename object data after object name
  • Add suffixes or prefixes by specific object types
  • Simple and clean UI
  • Auto updater

Missing in 2.80:

• Auto updater

Known issues in 2.80:

When moving the mouse over the infromation popup a display error occurs sometimes. The popup switches from showing the renamed objects to no object has been renamed.

6 Likes

Very usefull addon! Thank you!