Issue with Fire in Blender Cycles

Hi

I’m experimenting with fire in Blender Cycles in v2.77. In this scene, I have one model (a phoenix), a camera, a sun, a force field (wind), and a domain cube. The phoenix is the mesh source for the fire.

My issue is that I am able to see the flames in solid/texture/material views, and also in the test render view; However, when I go to render the final image, my flames are not there. I have also tried applying the modifier to the mesh and/or the domain, but the flames vanish and I have to start over from my last save point.

The node tree is applied to both the domain and the phoenix. I don’t know if that’s relevant or not, because I’ve tried one without the other, and I’ve seen no visible changes.

The node tree, the fire as seen in solid/texture/material view, the fire as seen in test render view, above.

Assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,
AerialBot

Did you disable renderability (camera icon) on either the domain itself, or the smoke modifier on the domain?

Hi J

No, I did neither of those. Both still possess render-ability.

AerialBot

Hi, try this:

Delete your cache,select your Phoenix, go to Physics tab --> Smoke–> change “Flow Type” to something else, play the simulation,then try to render again.
Do you see something? Then switch back to your previous setting.

If this doesn´t help, please upload your blend file to pasteall.org
for others to take a look.

Hi Derbender

I followed your advice, but that didn’t seem to help. I also tried to upload my .blend file to the site you suggested, but the upload limit is 30.0 mb and my file is 55.9 mb.

For some reason, this site doesn’t like my .blend file (or a compressed .zip), either. I don’t know if that’s because I’m a new member (less than 10 posts, if I understand correctly), but I can look into that later.

AerialBot

The node tree must be applied only to the domain, I think.

After your posts reach ten, you can upload only ~2,5mb on this site.
So, either you upload on some other sites like i.e. file-upload.net
or you try to reduce your file size by deleting the textures for example.

You can also try this:
Make a uv-sphere, hit space –> search for “Quick Smoke” –> Render
If you see something you know there is something wrong with your other scene.

Hi Derbender

I did exactly as you said, in making the UV sphere and adding a quick smoke effect. It did work. So, something’s definitely wrong with my phoenix/domain, but I have no idea what.

I’ve posted my .blend file on my website. Since I’m a new member, I can’t paste the URL, so here’s an improvisation:
Triple W dot abbyblack dot com --> Artwork. My .blend file’s the only thing there.

Thanks,
AerialBot

Hi,

good news, it´s rendering,
you have really forgotten to activate the render button in the outliner (camera icon) on the domain, so nice catch J_the_Ninja.

Some hints:
make the domain only as big as the fire will be in the end.
In the Physics settings of the domain check “adaptive domain”.
These two things will speed up your simulation enormously.

50 samples in render settings with “Square Samples” checked are 2500 samples, so this is also very high.

Also keep in mind you don´t need “Fire” to render fire, this could also be smoke with fire colors for example, but you have to experiment a little with the settings to get your desired result.
And as I said before cut the Volume material of the phoenix, you only need it on the domain.

Hope this helps you.

Happy Blending

Hi Derblender

That was it. It works… I swear that all of the renders were on… Anyway, thank you so much for catching that! :slight_smile:

Much thanks,
AerialBot