frigga

today i like to show what i was working on the whole last week. this project was inspired by a remark paolo made, about sculpting in dynatopo, that i totally agree with. and so, with this project, i wanted sculpt everything in dynatopo only, besides the meshes that are obviously modeled, or built from curves.
i must say, i enjoyed this far more than the other projects i did recently, as all the technical hurdles are gone when sculpting only with dynatopo, and i could concentrate on sculpting, on composition etc. so, fun!
needless to say, everything was done in blender. the final compositing of the render passes was done in photoshop.

so, i hope you enjoy frigga. i attach several views so that you can see her all around.

Really nice work! Looks like a ton of polygons though!! Especially with the dress and the surface detail on it :open_mouth:
I’m really interested in some insight on how you made the clothes (and the furry blanket of the baby) and how many polygons the scene actually has? :smiley:

Stunning work!

The level of detail is outstanding! It is very clear to see that you are an expert the art of sculpting :slight_smile: The fabric and fur are executed brilliantly! As too are the jewellery and clothing accessories :slight_smile:

5 stars! :smiley:

Wow!! Doris! that is impressive and beautiful!!! just sculpting! not think about anything else, that is so nice!!! Glad you enjoy in doing it!
5 stars from me of course!

like everyone said. Great work. But I have too point out this. The baby head is three times smaller than it should be and it looks like winston churchill.

1. child proportion is very strange. Very small head, very big foot.
  2. this is not a child’s face. face must be more rounded

Hi Doris, very impressive work, I like it very much, I just wonder what the heck she’s doing!

Surfaces are mastered so well that they look as if they were molded into clay.

I quite agree about the baby.

Now you could start to retopologize it, couldn’t you? :smiley:

paolo

thank you all for commenting and for the stars. … thank you for the notes on the boy, so i know i need do much better next time.

julien kaspar, yes the scene is highpoly, but not so dense as you might think. it has alltogether a tad over 3 million polygons. the surface details, like on the dress or on the floor are made with the new microdisplacement, like explained here. i did not unwrap the models, but used simply boxmapping on the texture, with a little blend. it worked fine. the two furry blankets are sculpted roughly in one piece, together with the cushion, and then i made two vertex groups, one for the blanket with the thick fur, one for the blanket for the thin short fur. these furs are simply hairsystems, with different settings, each using one of the vertex groups for placing the hairs.
here is a view on the complete scene in viewport, so that you can see what i actually sculpted. you see, many meshes are rough… the whole scene rendered quite quickly, in less than 8 minutes, but it used almost 10 gig of ram for rendering. i was glad that i have a ton of that lol …

paolo, she is tablet weaving. this is an ancient form of loom, to create fabriques for use in belts, for example. frigga is a goddess in norse mythology, is the wife of odin and associated to motherhood, wisdom and housekeeping. so my idea was to present her with assecories that would hint to that, hence the boy at her side, the animals, and her doing tablet weaving. she is also wearing clothes, as was used to in viking times, with a dress over which is a shorter apron, and leather shoes are also sculpted from viking references…
haha, if i would have wanted to retopo the project, i would have not fully sculpted the pieces to “finish”, but retopo early when the basic forms were there. but i knew i will not do that, and enjoyed it. i am glad you see the clay like effect, yes this was what i agreed with you on your remark. it is wonderful effect, you will not get so easily with multires sculpting… it gives the whole piece its life, i think…

it is wonderful effect, you will not get so easily with multires sculpting… it gives the whole piece its life, i think…”

yes, that’s true, but only if someone is able to give it life with sculpting, as you have been doing masterfully.

Thank you for the viewport image posted above, it gives a rough idea of the mesh density on certain parts, and it shows the differences compared to the finished image with microdisplacement, shaders etc.; it shows also that you managed them just as well as sculpting.

And thanks for the interesting mythological note, I did not know about her.

paolo

beautifull piece of art Doris ! 5 Stars from me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the insight doris! I overlooked and forgot about the microdisplacement feature but now I’m really interested!
And congrats to the blenderartists feature :smiley: You deserve it

My *5 Doris
Excellent work, always expected from you.
Glad we have you with us again. Missed you.

Yeah, well deserved top row Doris!
my 5 *s too.

Michalis, we might pretty say the same about you… nice to see you!

paolo

WOW! Incredible work!

Well deserved top row plug, five star work all around

wow, what a wonderful surprise! thank you!

michalis, glad to be back, and glad to see you are here around still :slight_smile:
joey, how are things doing? are you still sculpting?

thank you all for congratulation :slight_smile:

Just … wow! I don’t think I have something about this to say. Your sculpting skills are really good!

Nice sculpture! Thought the tree bark needs more details.

Hello: It seems to me an excellent job, I think if you care topology so that there is homogeneity of polygons that always stir with DYNATOPO, is a large studio. I would love to know the steps. As for the level of detail is very good, it is absurd to write the complete works of Shakespeare in a grain of rice, computers suffer much and graphics cards too, for printing in 3d not many polygons are needed and who pretend not know 3d really. FELICIDADES

Again Doris, outstanding work. Beautiful detail.