To buy laptop with single 1080 or dual 1070?

Which laptop do you recommend me to buy in terms of rendering baking and better performance in Blender.

MSI Single 1080 NVidia or with dual 1070. Dual1070 - even a bit cheaper. P. S. Dual 1080 I cannot afford.

Dont offer desctops because new laptops are not less powerful anymore.

Here is links for this two different configurations:

Or https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Titan-Pro-201-GT73VR-i7-6820HK/dp/B01IVZ12W0?th=1&psc=1

Hi, there are benefits from two cards.
One is you can work without lag during setup your scene if you use one card for preview and switch to both cards for final render.
Two 1070 should be faster than one 1080, no idea why it is cheaper.
There are not exact numbers atm., I will prepare a new benchmark when Blender 2.78a is ready this week.
Not many user have such a budget, btw. you can get a workstation with 4 GTX 1070 for less.
So not many tester with mobile cards.

Cheers, mib

Thanks. But …“workstation with 4 GTX 1070 for less”. Do you have a link and price for that?

Hi, had not much time to configure a nice system but this is with two GTX 1070.
Add 2 more for about 880 €.

PC-Builder (Kosten für Zusammenbau, 850 GQ, PC-Netzteil, GH24NSD1, DVD-Brenner, DIMM 16 GB DDR4-2133 Kit, Arbeitsspeicher, Core i7-6700K, Prozessor, ST1000DM003 1 TB, Festplatte, “Ben Nevis”, CPU-Kühler, 2x GeForce GTX 1070 Phoenix, Grafikkarte, Deep Silence 5 Rev.B, Big-Tower-Gehäuse, Windows 10 Home für Highend-PC 64bit OEM Alternate, Betriebssystem-Software, MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME GAMING, Mainboard)

It is a company in Germany, Alternate.de
I think there are many companies offer a PC builder online.
You can also check your local shop to build a system for you, it is often not as expensive as we think.

€ 2.264,57*

It is complete build together from the company.

Cheers, mib

Thanks. After weighting up all of the pros and cons and watching some video i have decided to buy MSI with dual 1070 and 64 RAM. Was not easy task to find such seller in UK since almost all of them shipped from USA… but finally found one.

Cool, please check BMW27.blend from the benchmark thread.
Would be really interesting how they perform.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?239480-2-7x-Cycles-benchmark-(Updated-BMW)

Cheers, mib

You will not believe but thats exactly what i was planning to do firstly)

I will post result here when i will have it

Ok. So finally my laptop delivered. So i rendered that popular BMWscene and here is result

Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK Processor

RAM - 64
DUAL NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5 SLI

GPU: 00.36.50

Great i think. Also if i change tile size 500-280 i get 00.30.80.

I wonder what dual 1080 will show.

I will make a video review on youtube of this laptop guys.

Hey Silverland ! Just wondering how are things going with your monster laptop… working good ? not too noisy maybe ? I move a lot also & have an asus with a gtx 870M and I’m planning to get a laptop like the one you ordered for my blender projects… any feedback are welcom thanks ! :slight_smile:

Hey. It works great. No problems since that time. Noisy? Yes, it is noisy, but such a beast should be noisy for such a crazy cooling system and a lot of fans. The only thing be careful not to buy version with 4K screen, that’s what I accidentally did because I didn’t know what is 4K at that moment :slight_smile: And I had a bit of a hard time later to adopt Blender, adobe programs and other programme to this resolution, because all of them are HD by default

Hey thanks for your answer… for the 4k thing, the dpi setting in the system tab of blender’s user preference does’nt help ??

Yes, it works for Blender, because Blender has that feature, but most of the programms- don’t, for After Effects, Photoshop and Premier Pro and some others I had to use some scripts and hacks that I barely found in the internet.

Also I think that when I am using preview render, and not F12, Blender previewing things in 4K resolution, and it’s no way to choose resolution for preview render, so it’s slowlier for the preview. So mostly I use F12. There is possible to do scripting but I don’t jnow how

Hi.
Recently there has been some movement with some patches related to dpi and monitors.
Have you tried latest Blender from Buildbot to see if that fixes some of these problems?
https://builder.blender.org/download

For windows you do not download the experimental ones.

Edit:
I’m really not sure if it’s related to your problem:
https://developer.blender.org/D2539

Hi. Thanks. But the upper link only for the font size fix, or for the render viewport?

I really do not know. Now the configuration is in Interface:

Edit:
Configuration change fonts and icons size.

What I really find weird is that rendered in viewport depends on the screen resolution as you comment on message #13. You should ask in IRC (#blendercoders) if this is so, and if it is possible to configure it in some way

Hey hello again… Another question, this model has also the button to Turn off the graphic cards ? I saw that model with one gtx offers that… And if you can Turn them off how is the noise ? I’m asking this because I’m also à musician and I need silence when recording my guitar…

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

What OS? In Win10 I believe there is some kind of scaling function somewhere. I’m not on Win10 myself though.
Yeah, 4k for small (even big) laptop screens, I just don’t get it. I’m running 2560x1600 on 30 inchers, and even with that much larger pixel size I find them a bit challenging. Although we have guys at work doing 4k on 40 inch that love it, I don’t think I could cope. On a laptop? I didn’t even know they would do that.

Mate, it’s noisy only when I am rendering of course, otherwise not. And yes, I don’t know for a button, maybe it is, but you could just unplug both power banks that are powering both graphic cards. There are two power banks for the version with dual graphic cards, so just unplug from both sockets if you want, the third socket is the main power.

Hello Silverland. I am about to buy this model you got. The SLI 1070. Just wondering if you can use them indepently when rendering since it is SLI. And any other observations you have about the laptop. Keryboard still functional at a 100%. Anyway. I really appreciate some feeedback on this since is not any purchase XD. Thanks in advance!! - Oscar