5 DEADLY mistakes CG artists make (and how to fix them)

CG Artists, especially beginners, can drastically improve as an artist by fixing these 5 deadly mistakes. There’s detailed solutions to each of them after each mistake is discussed. :slight_smile:

You’ll learn:

• ways to improve as a CG artist,
  • to make your post-processing efficient,
  • the correct way to save your renders,
  • avoid losing data and,
  • why using multiple software applications in combination can help a ton!

You can read the article here.

Watch the video on Youtube!

I would like to discuss these mistakes with you guys. What are your opinions on it?

I know there are many more solutions than I mentioned. Tell me in the comments. :cool:

Do you know any other common mistake I didn’t mention?

P.S- Do you like the new boundlessblending.com ?

Ugh, please don’t try to further this clickbait nonsense and get straight to the point when talking about something. Vague titles help no one. The 5 tips are listed in this order below:

1. Use photo references
  2. Renders are too dark/bright
  3. Don’t save photos in JPEG
  4. Save often
  5. Don’t limit yourself to only one software

This message was sponsored by the Clickbait Users Need To Stop Movement. Visit us to find 8 exciting tips to figure out how you can put an end to unnecessary clickbait TODAY!!!

On topic, most of these tips are fairly basic stuff that beginners should know (or at least learn quickly). I haven’t really heard the second tip anywhere else, so at least that was interesting and new.

EDIT: To the post below, I agree with that.

Just focus and work at being an artist. That’s all there is.

CGI software is just another tool in the box. Nothing more.

^^Agree :yes:

@Sayan
Please work on yourself.
As unique as you are you seem to be destroying much of what makes you. Be ‘different’ or just ‘another’ co-paste monster of what is already considered a common knowledge, being shared all over.
Exercise and practice on your souls inspiration…
Be diluted or emphasize an existence.

While I want my website to be the home for all the content I produce, it wouldn’t be a very good idea to put out the content directly in the forum.

Maybe the tips are fairly basic but might not be so obvious to others. Like you found something new in the second tip, maybe someone else finds another tip helpful or at least new.

I’d like to make it clear, “It’s not clickbait in any way”. I’m not earning anything from the traffic that goes to my website.

And yup, CGI software is really just a tool. Focusing at being an artist is really important but that’s a different topic in my opinion.

I’m not perfect. So thanks for your tips, I’ll definitely learn from my mistakes and come out with something better that doesn’t disappoint you guys :slight_smile:

Thanks
-Sayan

Yeah - I fell for the click bait as well - DEADLY is really an overkill statement. No one has died using Blender incorrectly. Well, unless you sat at the computer for many hours/days without eating or getting up.

You might not be earning anything, but you may be getting more clicks than without the DEADLY title - I don’t know.

Geez, you guys are pretty brutal sometimes. It’s not very inviting AT ALL. Unless something has changed, I don’t see how this is “clickbait”. Someone posts about a tutorial on their website and youtube…WTF? Maybe if you had your own website you might have a clue.

Anywho, thanks for the tutorial posting. Most people appreciate such things. Also note that none of the complainers are moderators. Maybe you could contact one of the moderators to see if posting about a relevant tutorial is allowed. I can’t fathom that it wouldn’t be allowed. In fact, it would be downright stupid. Don’t be discouraged.

If my comments were brutal - sorry. Please consider it helpful.

From Wikipedia:

Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching thumbnail pictures to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks. Clickbait headlines typically aim to exploit the “curiosity gap”, providing just enough information to make the reader curious, but not enough to satisfy their curiosity without clicking through to the linked content.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]

DEADLY - I consider a sensationalist headline

A title that may avoid this would be “Tutorial on how to improve your work”

You may also start your video by telling the viewers your experience, credibility. i.e. “Hi, I’m Sayan. I’ve been working as a CG Artist for the past 10 years. I’ve worked with Pixar, Adobe and have worked with clients for product design. Today I’d like to …”

I always find interesting this kinds of entries, even when I could not agree with something that is mentioned there (not the case of this entry). If you see the works and resources Sayan shares (even for free), you should understand that this is an opinion from someone with experience. You can see a lot of those mistakes in the work that novices share in the forum. So even perhaps a bit basic concepts, but I’m sure it will be useful for beginners.
And if you think Sayan are looking for clicks for his website, I find that fair and a way of saying thanks to things he shares. Even I disabled Adblock in the website just in case.
Thanks Sayan!

I don’t know what Sayan’s intentions are - the title of the post is very similar to clickbait headlines seen on the net.

After seeing more of same action… it is a clickbait
One deadly mistake you never mentioned (i know it is perfectly fine for pro-capitalistic way to exploit, create revenue & profit…) is: don’t be arrogant & aggressive with your art & emotions, don’t force your will on to others… you know? this means WAR :ba::stuck_out_tongue: