Final Fantasy game project

Me and another guy who might want to remain anonymous are working on a Final Fantasy kit, we want to recreate all of the features of Final Fantasy 10. He’s a great programmer I’m a decent artist, but I think we’re in need of an animator. We’ll have at least two perhaps three characters that need to be animated. Here’s our protagonist, we refer to him as the sun knight because he’s so shiny. He looks a bit crappy because he’s rendered in blender’s game engine, the original model from which the normals were baked looked quite good.

Right now he’s busy programming and I attempted to rig and animate this guy. But the cape proved difficult for me to rig and animate correctly. Are you a fan of Final Fantasy and a decent animator, join us and help us animate. :slight_smile: I’m going to create one or two monsters for this guy to fight and a shopkeeper. All of those will be animated in due time. When we’ve got more to show we’ll create an official thread in the game projects forum. This is just a call for an animator.

I’m sure the BGE can handle higher fidelity graphics than that actually

That was a pointless reply mr, oh and you’re wrong, those robots in that video show just how bad blender renders models. Here’s the knight before he was put inside blender. No reason to reply unless you’re a decent animator, all this thread is for.

Show the lowpoly model + the textures!
Here how your model could look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZ1mg9Do_M

yeah with masks you can use a node shader to mix materials or by assigning dif materials for each part(but I think that uses more cpu)

Nice model! How many polys are there?
P.S. I think Blender can easily handle a graphics like this(but with lower scale of game levels). It just needs a pro modelers, shading and lightning artists.

Akira_San that’s pbr is there an option to enable that in the blender game engine? I haven’t messed around too much with the materials on the model, I’m sure there is some way to make his armor and helmet look more like metal. Anyway we’re just looking for an animator, anyone interested? :slight_smile:

EDIT: 3828 quads haidme, blender should be able to handle it.

On the topic of graphics, here’s another model of mine, guess which one is from blender.

with the new upbge blender player + Lamp LOD + physics LOD + using a tree to do all of it**

we should be able to stream pretty detailed worlds in and out*

lol… bang bang

EDIT: 3828 quads haidme, blender should be able to handle it.

Good! ~4k polys per model is nothing for bge. What slows down the fps is the armature transform. My advise is to use as little bones as you can for your animations.

…guess which one is from blender.

The left one is using different scene lightning,soft shadows,bloom and antialisaing…it can look even better in bge if you put the same post processes in the blender scene. :wink:

we should be able to stream pretty detailed worlds in and out*

I’m sure upbge is going in the right direction. Keep this project up and going. Maybe “Krum II - Gates Of Hell” will use upbge and a graphics like that in the image. :slight_smile:

Rendering with game engines is different from rendering with say, Cycles or LuxRender, since a game engine needs a consistent ~60fps. There is no “make look good button”. The picture on the right doesn’t look like a game engine render, it seems like that would take more than a few of milliseconds to render (just given by the hair). Even if the right is realtime, a similar result is possible with the BGE - you just need to know how to do it. Like Akira and Haidme have explained, it’s very possible.

Edit:

He looks a bit crappy because he’s rendered in blender’s game engine, the original model from which the normals were baked looked quite good.

Unreal and Unity are free, if you don’t like how BGE renders, why not switch?

The picture on the right doesn’t look like a game engine render

The one on the right is in real time and it’s a game model, so yeah you’re mistaken.

Unreal and Unity are free, if you don’t like how BGE renders, why not switch?

Good point, if I had a programmer that knew unreal I would probably use it instead. But we’re using blender, you seem upset that blender can’t compare to other engines and don’t like it when I point it out. Just something you got to deal with, if you’re a programmer yourself you should probably learn C+ and use unreal instead. Artists are very comfortable, they can throw their models into any engine.

No animators interested? :frowning:

I can animate, but I think you could use compound rigid body armatures and then pin the soft body with rigid body hooks to the actor

Animating and programming, that’s a lot of work. Are you good at it though, we would want something that is comparable to the game we’re referencing FF10. I guess if nobody else is interested we’ve got to do it ourselves. I’ll send you the model.

keep the models flowing and I won’t back down.

after we get nice materials and a good rig we will do the running around world animations and a few attacks and see how we feel about them?

Doing whole projects on your own with many skillsets makes you appreciate the skills you have not yet mastered.

I can probably add a reflection map and make that actor pop btw.

edit: it took me 45 minutes to add the magic command and the lightning spell :slight_smile:

I made a smart gui handler thing as well as a system to play functions the menus call so it is ridiculously easy to extend.

The battle system is looking great, good then I’ll concentrate on the models. Next is the map in which he’ll run around, any suggestions for an enviroment?

how about (planes Castle) -> road(planes) --(stand of trees)----road -> forest castle?

use 1 kit for both castles but use object color + splat maps to make it look diff

Right, clearly I’m not an art expert; however, I mentioned that regardless if it was realtime, you could probably achieve similar results with BGE - that I do know just by being integrated with the community for multiple years.

Good point, if I had a programmer that knew unreal I would probably use it instead.

Most programmers can adapt pretty easily to whatever engine comes their way, it’s not hard. I’ve used multiple engines, they’re all pretty similar.

But we’re using blender, you seem upset that blender can’t compare to other engines and don’t like it when I point it out. Just something you got to deal with, if you’re a programmer yourself you should probably learn C+ and use unreal instead. Artists are very comfortable, they can throw their models into any engine.

C+ isn’t a language, and if it is, it’s incredibly uncommon. I think you meant C++ or C. Also, I don’t use BGE anymore - I’m not really into it anymore (personal preference). I was trying to be helpful with my first post; saying that it’s possible to get the render you want if you knew how. This is, of course, a BGE sub-forum. Clearly, you didn’t take it that way.

It’s just confusing to me why you’re using BGE - you consistently complain about it. If you haven’t done much work, it’s not hard to switch engines and you get the render you want for less work. Even if your programmer has done some work, Unreal and Unity have a bunch of templates to help you get started, there’s literally no reason not to switch. It just seems like you’re making your life harder for no reason.

I don’t think you realize how games run. Those models look so high-poly, they’d give cryengine a run for its money.

@Leinadien

I guess you’re a bit new to realtime graphics, but you can definitely make a model look really good and realistic in bge by using techniques like baking normals, using cubemaps, specular maps and masking different materials together.

You can get similar results as haidme suggested, you just need to know what you’re doing. But I would really recommend UPBGE though.