Can I view a mesh instead of strands in particle edit mode?

Hi

If I create a particle system of the type hair and set the particle to an object or group of objects, Can I view that object as I am working in particle edit mode and see how it rotates differently depending on my strokes in real time? Or am I limited to jumping between particle edit and object mode to see how the actual mesh changes?

don`t think it is possible
[edit] but would be nice :slight_smile:

Would like to know this as well. Also when you use the comb function, do you know how the object can bend like the hairs are combed?

Well, Im pretty sure bending would be a whole other best to tackle, I guess that it is a function tied to the regular strand particles. I am going to send a bug report about this and see if I can get any good answers from the developers.

If you are interested, here is the report to follow.

https://developer.blender.org/T49806

PS would that be cause of viewport ram issue or something. Strands are much easier to calculate, using objects could kill the viewport right?

how about viewing the wireframe? thats a tradeof i could live with i guess

Wondering what takes more memory, wireframe or solid view. My guess is wire frame though, more line where as a solid is just a simple gradient

Well the report is closed, no help there.

I wonder if this is hard to achieve through an addon or script. I mean, the feature is there, we can view the result in object mode, we just can’t see it as it happens in particle edit mode. I’m gonna see if I find something useful in the api. Though Im not a programmer, so it’s a long shot I guess.