4k Texture Still Appears Low Res

I have this painted ground that I’ve made in Krita (4k resolution). When I import it into Blender it looks great, but becomes worse as I zoom in. Additionally, the problem doesn’t appear to change with different file types (tried with jpeg, png, and tiff).

Attachments

but becomes worse as I zoom in
What were you expecting to see ? If you have a 10,000 x 10,000 pixel photograph and zoom in to it you will eventually start to see individual pixels.

The size of the texture is not the only consideration. How big is the object you are using that texture on and how far from it the camera is all impact on its look.

I knew that already. I was expecting to keep some of the sharpness.

I agree about the camera’s position, but the UV of the plane is 1024 resolution. I made the texture at 4096 as a .tif. How it it possible that I lost quality?

Viewing distance and object scale are very relevant. A 2048x2048 image can look fantastic on a handgun. But the same size image applied to a 15 meter tall mech, for example, will not appear anywhere near as sharp. This is assuming both objects are scaled in relative terms.

When you scale something up you’re not increasing the resolution of the mapped texture. The texture contains a fixed amount of information. Regardless of any filtering , or the relative size of the mesh, that won’t change.

the UV of the plane is 1024 resolution.

The image resolution doesn’t relate to the Uvs in that way. A texture of any resolution can be mapped to the model based on the same Uv co-ordinates.

In basic terms, the texture resolution is not enough to give you the results you want on a single area of that size.

What about breaking the large surface up into smaller areas with decent size texture resolution?

depends on zoom factor and image size in viewport

let say your image takes 4 inches wide on viewport
then to get smooth image you need to cover that area with 2X pixels of image
or 4 X 100 = 400 X 2 = 800 pixels image minimum

happy bl

A lot of people will resolve resolution issues by overlaying multiple textures with different mappings (so you might have a detail texture scaled down on the same UV coordinates).

It should work well for this case since it’s just a basic grass material.