new pc hardware help

I just built my first PC recently , and I know I need an upgrade, but do not know what. The main core of my desktop is an 15-6600k(with water cooling block), 2x4gb corsair vengance lpx 3000 (runs at 2400 for some reason), and a single gtx 550 ti. I have been contemplating how I should upgrade to produce faster render times and produce better images/videos. My thoughts have lead me to either sli the 550 ti ($60-70), or get the gtx 1070 ($400+). Then from my experience with Blender’s new features in displacement, I have come to the conclusion that 8gb of ram is not enough, and that I may need a second set of 2x4gb ($40-50). I come from using my mac air 13" for rendering, so I do not have much experience in the hardware selection of Blender. My experience on my current machine has been better, but not as great as it could (several 4k images I have rendered, using a glass cup on a super simple flat table with hdri background , has taken me a good 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours rendering time- with cpu rendering faster).