What am I doing wrong

I was working on my first scene and decided to do a test render as I was getting some minor artifacting. However rendering on my gpu (860m 2gb) causes blender to crash. Rendering on my cpu (i7 4710hq 16gb) opens the render window, but it no progress is made. The editor is still functional, but ram usage slowly increases until all 16gb are used and my laptop crashes.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be appreceated.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1QrC3Ni85X9WFZ3YVpjaWdtOHc

Particle systems can use a lot of memory. Use less of them or render them separately.

I dont think that’s it due to how the memory consumption happens. It behaves more like a memory leak as it increases steadily, but takes around 5 minutes to hit the 16gb mark. That and it never starts actually rendering, I never get the box that starts rendering the image, just the render view. (also it loads fine in preview mode, I dont know the difference between preview and actual render).

That steady increase in memory consumption you see is Blender preparing your particle systems for rendering.
Your Plane.001 e. g. has 50000 hair particles with 100 children per particle. That’s 5 million particles having to be pre-calculated before being sent to the render engine. The memory consumption for that particle system alone is 6.5 GB…

You don’t see this issue in the rendered preview because
a) you have set the viewport children amount to 0 and
b) you set Blender to only show 5 % of the overall particles in the viewport to begin with.

Just follow organic’s advice and all should work.

It was the particles, I dont know if its the numbers or some other setting as I reduced both planes to 1k and it still would not render, but removing the particles and replacing them fixed it (and gave me a insufficient ram error when rendering on the gpu instead of straight up crashing). I dont know what viewport is, I did not touch that, but it was preview rendering with 100% set (I was leaving it at 5% just so I could move it in real time in object editor). Thanks for the suggestions though, I now have a scene I can render.