M4A1 Sherman Tank

After a long break from blender and 3d i’ve decided to dive headlong into what seemed to be a simple quick tank model. Turns out the sherman tank has so many different variants that finding the right reference is a job in itself. Well i just thought the early version was a sexy beast, very organic looking hull. Didn’t realize how much time id spend trying to get it right though. I’ve completely rebuilt the hull 3 times and still find myself tweeking it. The turret is less of a problem yet there’s a tricky bit around the side door. Photo references show it to be pretty rough looking and juts a little, may go in sculpt mode for final modelling.

Here’s my initial starting screenshots and as usual always welcoming criticism and props:eyebrowlift:

nice model… looking forward to more details…

Completed the gun and some more details to the turret. The ammo door turned out decent after some more tweaking, i’ve included the picture i used for reference, texturing this will be very interesting. I have to remember to fix the bottom of the turret seems to have gone off circular for some reason. Yeah those bits where the turret meets the hull needs some more work for the turret to turn properly.:rolleyes:

nicely coming along

Thanks @The HK :yes:. Worked on more bits of the turret still deciding on putting the .50 cal browning on top, having problems finding some decent blueprints. Other than that pretty much done the turret.

Nice job! How did you model the barrel muzzle? I’m modeling a similar object and having trouble. Did you extrude a circle and bolean the holes out?

Nice job! How did you model the barrel muzzle? I’m modeling a similar object and having trouble. Did you extrude a circle and bolean the holes out?

@scottmcc Here’s some steps i used to model the gun barrel, hope this is clear enough to be useful.

Decided to go ahead and model the top mounted .50 cal MG, got a little carried away with the details.

Nice model and modeling skills. Shame you haven’t showed us the progress so far.